My Homesteading Youtube Channel

Home Forums Homesteading My Homesteading Youtube Channel

This topic contains 100 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 3 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

Here is the video of the corn field 🙂 I was pretty sleeping when I recorded the video this morning!

[video=youtube_share;ghqqEENphqg]http://youtu.be/ghqqEENphqg[/video]

PhilTheBiker

It has been a while since the last update. My garden has been completely overrun by weeds since I stopped bothering (end of the season anyway).

Here is my update. I hope to process all but 5 rabbits this week. Might even try to can the rabbit meat instead of just freezing it.

[video=youtube_share;DQ4yBndoUQM]http://youtu.be/DQ4yBndoUQM[/video]

Andrew

What special stuff do you do to prepare the chickens and rabbits for the winters here in PA? Do you lose alot of them to the freezing weather?

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 21175 wrote:

What special stuff do you do to prepare the chickens and rabbits for the winters here in PA? Do you lose alot of them to the freezing weather?

Nothing special.

The animals will get use to the colder nights and colder days over time. Obviously you don’t want them indoors for a month and then drop them outside in 15 degree weather.

The chickens are like any other bird. their body heat from one another keeps them warm. Just keep the coop from being drafty.

The rabbits I usually toss in a nesting box without a bottom (so the poop falls out). It protects their sides from wind. I take it out during the summer.

I do more for the rabbits during the summer than the winter. During the summer I put in frozen water bottles to help them keep cool and sometimes I turn on a fan.

Andrew

@philthebiker 21179 wrote:

Nothing special.

The animals will get use to the colder nights and colder days over time. Obviously you don’t want them indoors for a month and then drop them outside in 15 degree weather.

The chickens are like any other bird. their body heat from one another keeps them warm. Just keep the coop from being drafty.

The rabbits I usually toss in a nesting box without a bottom (so the poop falls out). It protects their sides from wind. I take it out during the summer.

I do more for the rabbits during the summer than the winter. During the summer I put in frozen water bottles to help them keep cool and sometimes I turn on a fan.

That is good to know. I though they would be alot more work during the winter. It sounds like they are more resilient then I thought. I appreciate your insight.

DCortez

This might be the year we finally move to the country. If we could get a couple of contractors to actually show up …

We do have chickens now and started getting eggs for a couple of weeks now. Up to three a day from six birds that are somewhere between pullet and hen. Have six more that should be ready to lay this spring.

PhilTheBiker

@dcortez 21191 wrote:

This might be the year we finally move to the country. If we could get a couple of contractors to actually show up …

We do have chickens now and started getting eggs for a couple of weeks now. Up to three a day from six birds that are somewhere between pullet and hen. Have six more that should be ready to lay this spring.

3 a day is not bad for this time of year. I have one coop with about 20 birds and I’m getting less than 5 a day from that coop. I could toss some artificial light in the coop to extend the day for them and they’ll lay longer, but I don’t want to bother. Chickens only have so many eggs they can lay in their lifetime and I don’t need extra eggs right now.

DCortez

I’m not in the “extended light” crowd either, let nature take it’s course.

PhilTheBiker

It’s been a long time since I’ve made a Homestead Phil video. We are working on hatching some chickens here at the homestead!

[video=youtube_share;xcNAEmBxOLA]http://youtu.be/xcNAEmBxOLA[/video]

DCortez

We’re not homesteading yet but do have fresh eggs. “The Girls” are cranking out five a day and the sixth hen should be producing real soon. Come spring, our six pullets should be producing.

Started giving eggs to the neighbors, have two dozen sitting on the counter.

Two of the pullets are buff orpingtons, they are supposed to go broody but I’d rather incubate.

PhilTheBiker

@dcortez 21361 wrote:

We’re not homesteading yet but do have fresh eggs. “The Girls” are cranking out five a day and the sixth hen should be producing real soon. Come spring, our six pullets should be producing.

Started giving eggs to the neighbors, have two dozen sitting on the counter.

Two of the pullets are buff orpingtons, they are supposed to go broody but I’d rather incubate.

I really do like the incubator process. The farmer we got the eggs from literally went out to his hen house where he has about 5 roosters and two dozen hens, pulled 7 eggs, gave them to us, and all 7 were fertile! Pretty amazing to get 7 out of 7. They are sex linked so we’ll know what sex they are as soon as they are hatched.

With a broody hen you need to wait for her. Plus, during the summer when they go broody they’ve be known to sit on their eggs in the nesting box during the heat of the summer and die of heat stroke. This incubator also rotates the eggs for us. The only thing we really need to do is make sure there is water in there for humidity levels to stay high. This is our first time hatching.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.