My Water Safe

Home Forums Gear & Equipment My Water Safe

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  vbreferee 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

vbreferee

I saw this product on Doomsday Preppers, and just ordered one. It is a bladder that fits into your bath tub to store water. Looked interesting. Holds 65 gallons, and they have other products and sizes. Do a google search for My Water Safe, and it will take you to the site. Not terribly expensive at $34.99.

When I try it I will post a review.

azurevirus

I saw these advertised a few yrs back..should have ordered one then..for 35 bucks I think its a deal

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

This is something on my list of things to get, I think it would be good to add as one of our hurricane preparedness items but water I stored in the bladder would probably be used for other things other than drinking like flushing the toilet etc.

00_Jackie

How long can you store water before it goes ‘sour’? I am assuming filters, such as Berkley, would make it ok to drink?

When you find out, let me know. I was wondering the same thing. I have been saving water in sterilized empty milk gallon containers…I was wondering if I should after a period of time replace the water in them…..

Jhrdwyn

MS, myself I’m leery of reusing milk containers. Check the bottom, hard plastic bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA (Bisphenol A) and should not be used for water storage. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is generally a #1, and is recommended for one time use only. If it has a #1, #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine.

PhilTheBiker

@00_jackie 3102 wrote:

How long can you store water before it goes ‘sour’? I am assuming filters, such as Berkley, would make it ok to drink?

This was a good read
    http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/wqwm/emergwatersuppl.html

One interesting part I read was

Should I boil the water before storing it?
    Boiling the water before storage is not recommended. It will not prevent all problems that may occur during storage. In addition, boiling may concentrate other contaminants as the water evaporates away.

I never actually thought about that. However, if the water comes out of the city tap and into one of those bathtub containers I would think you would be fine drinking it for a week or so as long as you keep the cap on when not pouring water out of it. Obviously if you can keep it cold any natural bacteria in it won’t grow as fast.

It discusses using bleach as well as some other ideas.

vbreferee

I believe the recommended amount of bleach is 16 drops (from an eyedropper) per gallon. That should purify it. Don’t know if that works on a 65 gallon container (how would you mix it thoroughly) but you can take it out in increments and purify. The siphon hose that goes with the safe is an additional $4.00. I will let you know.

PhilTheBiker

@vbreferee 3121 wrote:

I believe the recommended amount of bleach is 16 drops (from an eyedropper) per gallon. That should purify it. Don’t know if that works on a 65 gallon container (how would you mix it thoroughly) but you can take it out in increments and purify. The siphon hose that goes with the safe is an additional $4.00. I will let you know.

The hard part about a siphon is for it to work well you need to have the destination lower than the source. Moth bathrooms don’t allow for this unless you are on the second floor and can have a long hose and a bucket a few feet lower such as on the stairs. You almost need a pump siphon.

Don’t misunderstand me, I think these are great and I’ve heard of people using them just before natural disasters such as hurricanes strike.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Now it was quite awhile back (weeks is a long time for my memory) but I want to say the one I looked at came with some type of tablet or additive to put in the container before filling it with water to sterilize it and give a longer life span.

PhilTheBiker

This is not really off topic, but does not address what you’ve discussed fully here, but, good info about water. Saw it today on my RSS reader.
    http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/2012/03/emergency-water-filtration-and.html

Alonso1

@jhrdwyn 3112 wrote:

MS, myself I’m leery of reusing milk containers. Check the bottom, hard plastic bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA (Bisphenol A) and should not be used for water storage. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is generally a #1, and is recommended for one time use only. If it has a #1, #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine.

Great information. Thanks for posting.

azurevirus

I just saw these on Amazon.com..they have stuff to add to it but it said it will keep the water drinkable for 4 weeks, I dont know if thats with or without the additve

00_Jackie

I found this online from the Water Quality and Health Council (whoever they are). Good info. I am seeing 6 months for tap water and 1 yr for bottled water (shelf life) on several sites. Guess that is what I will go for.

http://www.waterandhealth.org/drinkingwater/water_storage.php3

vbreferee

Well I finally received the Water Safe. It took a week for it to ship. It is packed in a sturdy plastic bag which takes no more room than a bath towel, maybe 2′ x 3′. I comes with a siphon, so there is no need to get an additional one. The Water Safe itself is about 4′ x 6′. It fits into a normal size tub easily.

To fill it you affix a sleeve to the spigot in the tub. It is supposed to tie on like a shoelace, but that didn’t work for me. Holding the sleeve in place it took about 20 minutes for the Water Safe to fill. It held water fine. I tied off the sleeve as directed. Now the fun starts. The Safe has a threaded spout with a cap. You take the cap off to insert the siphon which is also threaded. When you make the change you lose a fair amount of water.

Now the fun starts. The siphon was pretty useless. Getting the water out is a real challenge. I guess the siphon/pump which is all plastic could be modified by adding a longer hose. The hose that comes with it is way to short. If I was going to rely on this I would definitely have to find another methood of getting water out.

All in all it is a good way to store water, and it takes up no space when not in use. It holds 65 gallons, so it is better than a drum. Be prepared for a battle when you try to get your water back out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.