new gardening info

Home Forums Homesteading new gardening info

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DCortez 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DCortez

Got some new gardening info today that has me pretty interested from

Growfood.com

We haven’t started our garden yet but may take a late stab at it. Work has died and we may find ourselves with time on our hands (a good thing!) that can be put to prep use.

Here is the guys’s link, which takes you to his youtube channel, he gave the class. The second link, more informative, is a watch list

http://www.ldsprepper.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUgMVL1vbmE&list=PL2cLVMJiux-kPNMq9fciRWHCfHqUQSaqG

PhilTheBiker

I was reading that not to long ago. I think it is an interesting concept. I’m not really one to go for aquaponic or hydroponic gardening. I’d probably kill the fish and then without fish waste I’d kill my garden đŸ™‚

I’m currently using a row method. Last year I tried to do a squarefoot garden without the raised beds, just made the ground square foot. I might go back to square foot next year, I’ll see how well this years crop goes. One of the biggest things I’ve been fighting already is weeds, exactly what those grow boxes should eliminate.

I purchased the square foot garden book on amazon Kindle last year. I made a 4×4 raised bed for my mom and it worked great for her. This year I’m going to add on a 4×8 raise bed to go along with her 4×4. We will see how well that works for her!

Gardening = Freedom. Everyone should garden.

I’ve posted this before, some place, but check out what these guys are doing: The Urban Homestead® – A City Farm, Sustainable Living & Resource Center, A Path to Freedom towards Self-Sufficiency

1/10th of an acre = 6,000+ pounds of food in a year. Now they are enjoying the southern California growing season.

However you decide to garden, just do it!

DCortez

One thing I’ve heard is never use treated wood. At the class, he said it was okay to use. Not sure.

PhilTheBiker

Here are my thoughts.

If you are going to use chemicals in your garden for pest control and such then does it really matter if you use treated wood?

If you want to be chemical free then I would stay away from treated wood.

If you are building a chicken coop, rabbit hutch, or something of that nature. I would stay away from treated wood so the animals don’t eat the wood and die from whatever toxins are in it. For a garden, I don’t know, should be fine.

Also, was the class free or did they charge a fee? If they are charging a fee then I want to get into that action and setup my own class and charge people to learn how to garden đŸ™‚

DCortez

Class was free, not sure if he was paid by the church, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a market. If you could set up the beds for people, bet you’d make a few bucks there, too!

As for chemicals, I’m not opposed so long as I’m not poisoning myself, lol.

PhilTheBiker

I’m sure if you google it you’ll find all kinds of people that will say it’s safe and all kinds of people that will say never do it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.