Off Grid Systems

Home Forums Homesteading Off Grid Systems

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

Feel free to post any off grid systems you find or ones that you have built yourself. I found this one when I was looking at hydro options. Pretty darn impressed. This guy is living completely off grid from the utilities on his farm.

boisdarc

I don’t know if anyone else caught this or not on tv a few weeks back(it may of been an older show repeated), but I watched the whole show of “building the Earthship”. I had heard of them before, and even looked them up. They are impressive, their motivation is a little lefty/hippy/rainbow to me, but whatever the reason for the building, they are impressive. I am not trying to say that saving the planet is trivial or ignoble or anything like that. The guy who has designed them basically puts out an all-call saying he is building one, and all of these “socially conscience” people show up from all over the world to help out and learn from him. The end result is impressive- it is a stand alone dwelling totally off grid-off water-off sewage and food producing. If you get a chance it is worth watching.

PhilTheBiker

are you talking about http://earthship.com/ ?

boisdarc

yes, although I can’t even afford their house plans, much less someone to build it for me.

boisdarc

this guy is pretty sharp and gives a good how to. How I built an electricity producing wind turbine

boisdarc

boisdarc

boisdarc

A little lefty but Energy : TreeHugger

PhilTheBiker

I’m so close to being off grid. The only things I pay utilities on is power and natural gas.

I’d love a wood burning stove (maybe in 2015) and I’d love to get some sort of alternative power. The power part is the hard part.

boisdarc

Hopefully, in about a week I will be much more informed about wind(and some solar) energy. A relative is coming to visit that has previously worked in the field. A few friends and I are going to pick his brain in a question-answer session. He has a “no compete” clause/contract with his ex-employer that is up in about 9 monthes, so he cannot build and sell wind turbines or systems until that time is up. When his time is up, he is hoping to return to the business as at least on a sideline job. He is currently an electrician, and is not wanting to totally get out of that. So, you can hit me up in a week or so and I will relay what I can.

PhilTheBiker

“he cannot” but I’m sure if he sat there and told you what to buy, how to connect it, and didn’t actually do any of the work 🙂

PhilTheBiker

Interesting LDS guy with his solar setup that he never plans on using unless SHTF. Seems kind of a waste. I would just buy an additional charge controller or two if I was really worried about EMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedyMd5mGg4&list=PL8D7FC11A803D936D&index=4

And a follow up video of how he started and figured out he made a mistake to start with. Good info, but also from 2012 so prices may have changed.

[video=youtube_share;WhIXptI28HA]http://youtu.be/WhIXptI28HA?list=PL8D7FC11A803D936D[/video]

alwayscross

Im about to set up a pre made bug out location off grid, got a few locations and things to consider (all really well hidden, spent ages using the plant life around to hide them from site). Currently got a shelter set and ready, notes of all the nearby water sources, wild food around the area, sound traps to tell if someone is near by, note of the distance to nearest urban area and I was thinking of starting a small farm which I can back to every once in a while when ever im hiking or just doing some bushcraft. If anyone has some ideas of things I can make at the bug out location like a rain collector or others it would really help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.