Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

This topic contains 47 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  ICF_Hooligan 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@left4dad 17048 wrote:

concealed carry is discrete carry. The bad guy shouldn’t know you have a gun until there’s two inches of flame coming out the barrel.

Depends on how you look at it. If the bad guys know you’re armed they probably won’t act at all and that would result in fewer bad guys being sent to meet their maker. I’m all for bad people getting what they deserve but I think I like the idea of bad guys preying solely upon anti gun liberals more. πŸ˜‰

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Andrew

@teknabuzz 17053 wrote:

If the bad guys know you’re armed they probably won’t act at all and that would result in fewer bad guys being sent to meet their maker. I’m all for bad people getting what they deserve ……

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

A nice thing about people knowing, or at least think you are or might be, armed is that they might leave you alone. Like you said. The pro to that is you do not have to confront and possibly shoot anyone which is great. The con to that is that they might prey on someone weaker who is unable or unwilling to defend themselves. I believe the strong have a moral responsibility to look out for the weak. Whether the weak deserve it or not.

I should clarify that “the weak” includes those who intentionally chose to not prepare for an attack or live in denial that anything bad could happen to them. These folks choices place them in a position of weakness and many folks believe they should get what they deserve. I think they still deserve defending.

PhilTheBiker

If the bad guy is two inches from the barrel he is way to close to me πŸ™‚

I actually flip flop between open and conceal. Depends on the day, what I’m wearing, my destination and such. I conceal carry in Church with the G26, but if I’m out and about with the G17 I open carry. I personally have not been keeping a round in the chamber, but try to practice every time I shoot to draw the firearm, pull the slide, and then shoot.

There is an exception about the round in the chamber. When I’m going into a situation where something strange is happening I will load on in the chamber and re-holster. The other week a neighbor called and said he thought he saw someone walking around another neighbors house who is still refurbishing the house. He gutted it, rebuilding it and such. It was dark so I put the G17 on the hip loaded and grabbed a flash light. Turned out to be nothing, but I made sure I had a round in the chamber.

It’s amazing how I have changed my point of view over the last year and a half about open vs concealed. I actually would rather see more people open carry on the streets.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Over the course of time I’ve put more and more thought into this and I guess I never really seen good open carry arguments presented and something I saw on facebook from a hearing on open carry today really got my attention. The person was asked from a safety point what is the advantages of open carry who also implied that bad guys would try to take the guns away from law abiding citizens and the advocate responded with the police open carry.

This is true police in uniform do open carry while plain clothes police normally operating in specialized units typically conceal carry. Why do they conceal carry, because they want to catch bad guys. But… It’s not just police that open carries but the private security personnel such as Brinks also open carries. Why do they open carry? They not responding to 911 calls, they open carry to deter crime. And that itself to me is a proven statistic that open carry deters crime.

Surely nobody believes it would be safer for the brinks guy carrying all that money into the banks and atm’s would be safer by conceal carry do they?

I just wish this point would’ve made to official in a similar fashion because I think it highlights the point that much better than just saying the police open carry.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 18692 wrote:

Over the course of time I’ve put more and more thought into this and I guess I never really seen good open carry arguments presented and something I saw on facebook from a hearing on open carry today really got my attention. The person was asked from a safety point what is the advantages of open carry who also implied that bad guys would try to take the guns away from law abiding citizens and the advocate responded with the police open carry.

This is true police in uniform do open carry while plain clothes police normally operating in specialized units typically conceal carry. Why do they conceal carry, because they want to catch bad guys. But… It’s not just police that open carries but the private security personnel such as Brinks also open carries. Why do they open carry? They not responding to 911 calls, they open carry to deter crime. And that itself to me is a proven statistic that open carry deters crime.

Surely nobody believes it would be safer for the brinks guy carrying all that money into the banks and atm’s would be safer by conceal carry do they?

I just wish this point would’ve made to official in a similar fashion because I think it highlights the point that much better than just saying the police open carry.

Good point. I agree that, if society did not demonize it, open carry would make society safer. If everyone has a gun no one will want to use one. It is the same argument for why the build up of WMDs occurred during the cold war. Everyone knew that everyone else had them so no one used them.

firemedic4

@andrew.anderson 8709 wrote:

Here are pictures of my two conceal carry guns. the Glock 27 is a bit bulky at times and I would rather have the Ruger LCP then have no gun at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]796[/ATTACH]

Ruger LCP is a nice carry pistol!!

firemedic4

Here in NY, I have to carry concealed. I like the element of surprise anyway!

Andrew

@firemedic4 18698 wrote:

Ruger LCP is a nice carry pistol!!

My EDC has changed a bit but those are still both my go to guns.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@firemedic4 18699 wrote:

Here in NY, I have to carry concealed. I like the element of surprise anyway!

I agree with this way of thinking, this in my opinion is the way of the warrior mentality. I think there are a lot of people including myself that want the bad guys to make the mistake of messing with the wrong person but that isn’t for everybody. Some people just don’t want to ever be a victim, while I think many of us here have the mindset of actively engaging evil if it ever crosses our paths.

otis302

NRA Calls ‘Open Carry’ Rallies ‘Downright Weird’
    HOUSTON June 3, 2014 (AP)
    By JUAN A. LOZANO Associated Press
    Associated Press
    Companies, customers and others critical of Texas gun rights advocates who have brought military-style assault rifles into businesses as part of demonstrations supporting “open carry” gun rights now have a surprising ally: the National Rifle Association.

The advocates’ actions in restaurants and other public places β€” part of a push for less restrictive gun laws, including legalizing the open carry of handguns β€” have prompted public criticism.

The NRA has long been a zealous advocate for gun owners’ rights. But the group’s lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action, has called the demonstrations counterproductive to promoting gun rights, scary and “downright weird.”

The NRA said the demonstrations have “crossed the line from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.”

“Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners. That’s not the Texas way. And that’s certainly not the NRA way,” the NRA said in a statement posted on its website Friday.

The president and vice president of Open Carry Texas, one of the groups behind the recent demonstrations, did not return emails seeking comment late Monday.

But in a statement posted on its Facebook page, Open Carry Texas criticized the NRA, saying if the group doesn’t retract its comments, Open Carry will have to withdraw its full support for the NRA.

“It is unfortunate that an organization that claims to be dedicated to the preservation of gun rights would attack another organization fighting so hard for those rights in Texas,” Open Carry Texas said. “The more the NRA continues to divide its members by attacking some aspects of gun rights instead of supporting all gun rights, the more support it will lose.”

Texas has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country, but openly carrying handguns remains illegal. Long guns like rifles can be carried openly but must be done so in a way that does not cause alarm. But gun holders can be charged with disorderly conduct if anyone around them feels threatened.

The activists’ demonstrations, while peaceful, have upset some witnesses.

The Chipotle restaurant chain asked customers last month not to bring firearms into its stores after members of Open Carry Texas brought military-style assault rifles into one of its restaurants in the Dallas area.

β€”β€”β€”

Follow Juan A. Lozano on Twitter at [url]https://t[/url]

DCortez

I’ve seen this going back and forth on facebook. Bottom line, “in your face” gay parades on public property in front of objectors and children are okay. Exercising a legal right, if it scares, offends, or is disagreeable to a liberal, is not okay.

Personally not a fan of open carry, open kissing, or even loud talking on cell phones, but I’m sick and tired of getting pushed around by adults that only use the constitution when it’s convenient.

As for the NRA, they want to control the gun agenda from message, collecting dues, and of course, protecting their own interests, just like any other lobbying group.

DCortez

Good read. The nagging, whiney, do nothings are getting harder and harder to stomach.

Gun Snobs: Anti-Gun Allies

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@dcortez 18832 wrote:

Good read. The nagging, whiney, do nothings are getting harder and harder to stomach.

Gun Snobs: Anti-Gun Allies

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read.

From the article:

That being said, no one should feel uncomfortable with any type of weapon in public and the fact that even some pro-gun people are, simply illustrates how deeply the scare tactics of the anti-gun movement have affected us all.

Out of the whole thing the above stood out the most as it’s the way I see it as well. DCortez I’m sure you’re familiar with the “pro gun” facebook person who said something along the lines of “if you open carry a bad guy can take your gun from you” in a recent comment. I do believe I replied to that comment implying that was basically the liberal spin put on things and that if you carry in a holster you could just as well accidentally shoot yourself. Just because something could happen doesn’t mean it’s going to happen and it certainly don’t mean it’s going to be a common occurrence.

The article also hit on being critical towards hating on the obvious open carry mishaps much like I previously shown criticism for in a previous reply in this thread. I’m not going to retract any criticism I’ve stated regarding the poor weapons handling from some of the photos but would just stress to those that host and organize the events take leadership in educating good practices for all those involved.

PhilTheBiker

I recently heard that “Sonic” no longer wants you to Open Carry on their property. I think the next time I go to Lowes for some parts I’m going to swing over across the street. Sit at an outdoor table, and make sure I have my Glock 17 on my hip in full view.

It really makes me want to get one of those 6 shooter cannons that is like 20 inches long to go on my hip.

I’ll order my milkshake, and if they say anything tell them I want my money back and they can have whats left of my milkshake.

DCortez

@teknabuzz 18833 wrote:

DCortez I’m sure you’re familiar with the “pro gun” facebook person who said something along the lines of “if you open carry a bad guy can take your gun from you” in a recent comment. I do believe I replied to that comment implying that was basically the liberal spin put on things and that if you carry in a holster you could just as well accidentally shoot yourself. Just because something could happen doesn’t mean it’s going to happen and it certainly don’t mean it’s going to be a common occurrence.

I try to keep the peace where I can. I guess you could call it the customer service guy in me. No reason to burn a bridge unless you have to, and just because you can swim, that’s no reason to burn a bridge.

Here’s the deal … can you catch your fingers in the door of your car? Can you trip in a new pair of boots? Can your phone cause you to get into a accident? Of course. Does that mean we should fear real life? Training wheels are great on a bicycle, but at some point, you have to take them off. People will learn, or people will burn, it’s not my job to breastfeed them.

If I gave you the inside scoop on some of my fb friends, lots that I’ve met in person, you would disregard their opinions in almost everything except how to scratch your bum. It’s unfortunate that they insist on talking, and worse, talking to others.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.