(Pictures) What does the land look like near you?

Home Forums Homesteading (Pictures) What does the land look like near you?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’ve pretty much been to every state east of Texas and south of Virginia so I’ve seen lots of beautiful country side. But we have many different members from all across the country and I’m always curious as to what the “country” looks like in the places I’ve never been. Another thing that inspired me to start this thread is that I find that a lot of people from other parts think that the entire state of Texas looks like what is actually limited to West Texas.

I live in Coastal Southeast Texas and this is what it looks like very near my home the below photo was taken approximately 10 miles from my house:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2503[/ATTACH]
    Lots of flat land, rice fields, marsh lands, large pastures and very low elevation. Very rich soil type with lots of the surrounding land being used for farming and agriculture mainly cattle. Wildlife includes lots of hogs, big swamp rabbits, snakes, alligators, bob cats, deer are rarely seen here and duck hunting is really popular locally.

About 50 miles north of me the terrain changes to mostly piney woods and this is where I go for hunting. The below photo was taken on the property that I hunt on southern portion of east Texas:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2504[/ATTACH]
    Land is still very flat with a sandy loam type soil with some areas as seen in the photo being swampy. Wildlife includes abundance of white-tail deer that are rather large in comparison to the normal white tail deer size in other parts of the country, hogs, alligators, bob cats, coyote’s, snakes, grey fox, squirrels, cotton tail rabbits, raccoon, skunks, and it is rare but there is even a large cat that roams these woods. A lot of the large acreage is owned by logging companies, as the land is that I hunt on.

I didn’t have any photos of where I grew up as a kid in the hill country setting of central Texas but I tried my best to find a good photo online that reveals the terrain I was familiar with. My family owned a few different tracts on a placed called the “Mesa Grande” in Bosque County, Texas. My family called it a hill but and would say things like, “we live up on the hill” but as kid I thought of the place as a mountain up until I seen some real mountains in Tennessee and the Carolinas. I remember the first visit to my grandfather’s home on this Mesa when we first moved there, he had a large living room window at the edge of the hill top that over looked a steep descend into a valley of covered with cedar trees. From the window all you could see was the tops cedar trees and it reminded me of a bunch of broccoli. This is a random photo I found online of an area that is approximately 250 miles north-west of me in central Texas:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2505[/ATTACH]
    Very hilly rolling terrain with a very rocky soil that not much grass grows on. Vegetation is limited to various types of cactus, seasonal blue bonnets & Indian paint brushes flowers, lots of mesquite & cedar trees with an occasional oak. I lived here 20-25 years ago and I don’t remember hogs at all but I’m almost certain that has since changed. I didn’t see deer too often but when I did I remember seeing them in large herds of over a dozen at a time. I absolutely loved the beauty of this terrain and remember places that had solid rock walls with small caves. Wildlife here included cotton tail rabbits, big jack rabbits, foxes, mountain lions, bob cats, snakes and lots of rattle snakes, roadrunners, turkeys, possums, armadillos, raccoon’s, skunks, tarantulas, prairie dogs, coyote’s, scorpions, and probably a ton more that I couldn’t think of. Texas Parks & Wildlife denies wolves remain in Texas and maybe that’s true but as I kid I remember once seeing a group of grey wolves close to a gravel pit down the road from our property.

Maybe it’s my childhood connection to this part of the state but I truly do miss the scenic views and hope to live there once again one day.

alwayscross

Dam your lucky, I would send you pictures of my area but it would just be of streets and shops. Currently live in a town, nothing special like yours.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@alwayscross 19912 wrote:

Dam your lucky, I would send you pictures of my area but it would just be of streets and shops. Currently live in a town, nothing special like yours.

Don’t want to mislead anybody here, I live in a small town, with small residential neighborhood of close neighbors that first photo was taken about 10 miles down the road. And in the second photo if I drove the same distance east I’d be in the densely populated outskirts of Houston, Texas.

alwayscross

@teknabuzz 19915 wrote:

Don’t want to mislead anybody here, I live in a small town, with small residential neighborhood of close neighbors that first photo was taken about 10 miles down the road. And in the second photo if I drove the same distance east I’d be in the densely populated outskirts of Houston, Texas.

Still a nice area, the photos weren’t taken to far away.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.