poisonous or not?

Home Forums Survival Skills poisonous or not?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  otis302 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

otis302

Since there is a good chance if the SHTF and you had to hang in the woods besides eating animals how bout the ones that could hurt or kill ya? Is this a poisonous or not?[ATTACH=CONFIG]2422[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Looks like a cotton mouth very common to my area. I can’t identify all snakes but know the shape of the head reveals whether its venomous with a few exceptions for example coral snakes.

Awhile back I was helping a church member clear some land for his home and we seen 3 cotton mouths in a small ditch on the property. I shot one in half and when I shot at the next one it jumped across the ditch and proceeded towards me. They’re one of the more aggressive snakes especially when in water.

hpb13

Looks like a swamp mocassin.we have them all over..

DCortez

Triangle head usually means posionous. Or is that an old wive’s tale?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@dcortez 19242 wrote:

Triangle head usually means posionous. Or is that an old wive’s tale?

This is true for venomous snakes classified as pit vipers such as copperheads, rattlesnakes, and cotton mouths. But a coral snake is poisonous with a round head and can be confused with a king snake.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2425[/ATTACH]

Andrew

I just play it safe and dislike all snakes.

otis302

Its a northern water snake not venimus some snakes flatten out and try to act tough there are no set rules simple guide lines best to just leave them alone

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@otis302 19308 wrote:

Its a northern water snake not venimus some snakes flatten out and try to act tough there are no set rules simple guide lines best to just leave them alone

Sure had me fooled. I should’ve noticed the round pupils which is also a sign of a non venomous snake. There is also difference between being poisonous and venomous.

PhilTheBiker

I simply consider all snakes dangerous. Even seeing the picture above with my luck I’d get it wrong!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.