Poll Most Important Survival Skills

Home Forums Survival Skills Poll Most Important Survival Skills

This topic contains 38 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Carl Padilla 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

This was hard because I was trying not to read into it too hard. Living in/near a city I don’t have any real option for farming if I bug in. First aid would have been my second selection, in fact I am First Aid/CPU current, but at the end of the day the firearm will determine who has access to the resources left and who does not. First aid just keeps coming back in my mind because in all reality I expect storms, earthquakes, floods, but nothing ‘long term’ to happen in my life time. And then, I think about Katrina and thus, firearms.

scottishhog

I’m sorry if I missed something here, but I see no choices or options to vote on. I am looking at this on my phone so that may be the problem.

I would say most important skills in a survival situation is knowing your area and having the ability to adapt to certain changes in that environment and the ability to make or make do with what you have available. A well maintained body can withstand more than a flabby one, the skill aquired to fight or defend will be very important, and the knowledge to make or create luxury items will help with the mental stresses involved with a catostrophic situation.

JulioTheSavage

@vbreferee 2596 wrote:

I went with Fire Arms and Self Defense, and agree with all that has been stated. If you can’t protect what you have it won’t do you much good when it is taken from you. I had a boss who was talking about prepping with a neighbor. The neighbor was a prepper. My boss wasn’t, but the neighbor didn’t care for guns. My boss loved guns. When the neighbor told my boss how much he had saved, my boss just said ” I’ll be at your house….with my guns” I think the neighbor ruined a good pair of pants.

I agree that firearms and being able to defend you and yours is the most important skill. Everything else will follow. After reading this-http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/shtf-survival-qa-a-first-hand-account.htm
    I was definitely convinced. I know it was posted before but it’s definitely something to take a look at.

Andrew

I agree that self defense is essential. I believe that a basic ability to deal with austere living conditions is essential. Regardless of how much firepower you have or what level black belt you have if you aren’t used to living in less then desirable situations you will have a difficult time adapting. The most important skill is having an ability to survive in bad situations in bad places.

JulioTheSavage

@andrew.anderson 6225 wrote:

I agree that self defense is essential. I believe that a basic ability to deal with austere living conditions is essential. Regardless of how much firepower you have or what level black belt you have if you aren’t used to living in less then desirable situations you will have a difficult time adapting. The most important skill is having an ability to survive in bad situations in bad places.

What you say is true. I assume if your on this forum you have a survival mindset. I wonder if most people understand what,doing whatever takes to survive, really means? But all of the skills mentioned on this tread will be necessary.

Andrew

You mention folks being willing to “do what it takes to survive”. I believe most folks do not posses the will to tolerate simple things. For example. I live in North Carolina and right now there is a storm with lightening and thunder and flooding. I believe most folks would have a emotional breakdown if they had to sit outside in the weather knowing that after the storm they still had no where to go. They would start feeling sorry for themselves and eventual give up trying to survive. Most people, especially Western Europeans and Americans, are weak.

JulioTheSavage

@andrew.anderson 6260 wrote:

Most people, especially Western Europeans and Americans, are weak.

I agree. People have definitely gotten soft.

bigpaul

I was having this same conversation on the British Forum i support. i have read many times, people saying ” what is the point of surviving if i cant have my foreign holidays/standard of living/ mobile phone/computer/Xbox/ electricity/ running water/ TV soaps/etc.etc.” i think that after TSHTF we will see a BIG increase in the number of suicides. my personal feeling is if that is what people want to do, then they should do it SOONER rather than later so that there are more resources left for those of us who DO want to survive.

ICF_Hooligan

food and shelter will always be paramount, even if you’re not in a shtf situation

shottist

What good is food and shelter if it’s easily TAKEN from you because you can’t fight like a combo of Bruce Lee and Audie Murphy?

Stocker
    Participant

Hmmm, haven’t seen many starving people have the energy let alone the will to fight like Bruce Lee. The fact is a majority of these skills go hand in hand and without one skill you will fail at another.

azurevirus

Hunting and fishing

Andrew

It’s not a listed choice but what about the simply skill of identifying edible plants and animals and being able to build a shelter. I know that simply picking one most important skill sis silly since you really need to be at least average all all of them to survive. It makes for good debate though.

ralfy

Farming and agriculture, especially permaculture, will be critical, together with herbal and alternative medicine. Hunting and fishing will supplement them, together with food preparation and preservation, carpentry and basic structural engineering, bushcraft, water management, renewable energy, and skills described in nineteenth- or early twentieth-century farm manuals. For self-defense, hand-to-hand fighting and the use of blunt and bladed weapons plus archery will be helpful.

Rambo Moe

I would say hunting and fishing in rural environments, guns/self defense in urban/semi-urban ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.