Raise Turkey’s?

Home Forums Homesteading Raise Turkey’s?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

I was thinking of getting three turkeys to raise this year. I figure if I get them by May they will be ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’ve never done turkey’s before, and they are a little more expensive birds, but hey, why not. I won’t breed them (this year).

Anyone here ever have any experience with raising a turkey?

Im thinking ill name them Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year.

I’m trying to find a local source for the birds. On line these clowns want you to buy 13-15 at a time to ship. What the heck am I going t do with all those turkeys 🙂 that and I don’t think I have the space for that many.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Not sure about Turkey’s and have known a lot of people who raised chickens. Putting some more thought into almost everybody I can remember who raised chickens in a pen also had a flock of free ranging guinea’s. As far as I know guinea’s was never harvested and it seems they may have only been for insect control.

Andrew

There is a guy in North Carolina that raises Turkeys. He has Turkeys, chickens, peacocks, goats, sheep and a few cows.

My only concern would be that someone was going to shoot them during Turkey season.

Do you have peacocks?

PhilTheBiker

I have about 40 chickens right now, 30 of which I picked up a few months ago that have not started to lay eggs yet and 10 of which are giving me about 5 – 6 eggs daily right now. I’m raising them for eggs, but if I needed to eat them they are there.

I’m not worried about hunting season because they would be pinned in. 3 turkeys and a 20 x 20 pin should be plenty of space for them.

I’m not sure what I would do with a peacock and they are expensive!!! 8 for $392?? Murray McMurray Hatchery – Peafowl Assortment

Turkeys I could get for $10 each. I posted up in a local poultry group in my county to see if anyone knows any local farmers. I may just need to find some people to ‘go in’ with me on a larger purchase. My sister in-law might do it as well as my wife’s aunt and uncle who we picked up a pig from. I just don’t need the minimum order of turkeys 😀 If I had about 5 acres I would totally buy 15 turkeys and let them just do their thing and see if I can get baby turkeys.

Andrew

@philthebiker 16759 wrote:

I have about 40 chickens right now, 30 of which I picked up a few months ago that have not started to lay eggs yet and 10 of which are giving me about 5 – 6 eggs daily right now. I’m raising them for eggs, but if I needed to eat them they are there.

I’m not worried about hunting season because they would be pinned in. 3 turkeys and a 20 x 20 pin should be plenty of space for them.

I’m not sure what I would do with a peacock and they are expensive!!! 8 for $392?? Murray McMurray Hatchery – Peafowl Assortment

Turkeys I could get for $10 each. I posted up in a local poultry group in my county to see if anyone knows any local farmers. I may just need to find some people to ‘go in’ with me on a larger purchase. My sister in-law might do it as well as my wife’s aunt and uncle who we picked up a pig from. I just don’t need the minimum order of turkeys 😀 If I had about 5 acres I would totally buy 15 turkeys and let them just do their thing and see if I can get baby turkeys.

Peacocks eat snakes. Enough said.

DCortez

Along with insect control, I hear guineas are great watch birds.

PhilTheBiker

no snake issues yet, till they find my chicken eggs 🙂

As for guineas. I hear they are excellent for taking care of ticks 🙂

I just need to not piss off any neighbors with critters just running around, or I’d pick up a doze of those birds! So far my neighbors like me and put up with my 40 chickens (no roosters crowing yet).

Andrew

@philthebiker 16767 wrote:

As for guineas. I hear they are excellent for taking care of ticks 🙂

That is enticing. I dislike ticks. Plus they carry disease.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.