reinforcing a wooden door

Home Forums Homesteading reinforcing a wooden door

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Andrew

Intetesting write up. I wish it had more technical details.

http://www.thinksecurity.org/reinforcing-wooden-doors.html

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Problem with that door is that it opens inward, a door that opens outward is naturally stronger, much easier to reinforce and can be much harder to breach. Law enforcement conducting search warrants attempt to avoid utilizing doors that open outward because of this. Sure they can pry the door open but it generally takes more time and gives suspects inside more time to flush dope and/or grab weapons.

JulioTheSavage

@teknabuzz 9207 wrote:

Problem with that door is that it opens inward, a door that opens outward is naturally stronger, much easier to reinforce and can be much harder to breach. Law enforcement conducting search warrants attempt to avoid utilizing doors that open outward because of this. Sure they can pry the door open but it generally takes more time and gives suspects inside more time to flush dope and/or grab weapons.

Very true. That’s why I have steel security doors w/ steel frames on all my doors and of course since they are the outer door they open outward. I wouldn’t feel comfortable where I live not having security doors.

Andrew

@teknabuzz 9207 wrote:

The whole point of this how to is to help those that cannot or will not completely replace their doors. Most people aren’t going to pull their door and frame to install a outward opening steel door with steel frame. For those folks, this is a solution.

PhilTheBiker

I’ve seen some pretty cool cop shows where they drop an anchor in one of those home security type steel doors and then drive away ripping the entire security door out of the side of the house. At my new house I do need to do a 2×4 and lock that basement door. When I get moved up and around to doing it I’ll post pictures. I can’t afford to replace the door but i can make it more of a challenge for someone to want to get through.

Googleing ‘door stop alarm‘ brings up some interesting results as well.

There are also those ‘security bars’ such as the one from Master lock http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I

But then you still need to deal with windows.

One of the best things someone ever told me when I was much younger was if you have a window on your door make sure your dead bolt requires a key to unlock from the inside and outside. That way someone doesn’t break the window, reach in, and unlock the deadbolt. Sounds simple, but when I was 20 I never thought about it. That’s part of my vulnerability, it’s hard for me to think like a criminal sometimes because I’m ignorant to somethings. I’ve gotten much better over the years though.

JulioTheSavage

@philthebiker 9212 wrote:

I’ve seen some pretty cool cop shows where they drop an anchor in one of those home security type steel doors and then drive away ripping the entire security door out of the side of the house. At my new house I do need to do a 2×4 and lock that basement door. When I get moved up and around to doing it I’ll post pictures. I can’t afford to replace the door but i can make it more of a challenge for someone to want to get through.

Googleing ‘door stop alarm‘ brings up some interesting results as well.

There are also those ‘security bars’ such as the one from Master lock http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I

But then you still need to deal with windows.

One of the best things someone ever told me when I was much younger was if you have a window on your door make sure your dead bolt requires a key to unlock from the inside and outside. That way someone doesn’t break the window, reach in, and unlock the deadbolt. Sounds simple, but when I was 20 I never thought about it. That’s part of my vulnerability, it’s hard for me to think like a criminal sometimes because I’m ignorant to somethings. I’ve gotten much better over the years though.

Yanking my door off is the only way someone’s coming in my house. Luckily my doors require a key inside and out so got that covered.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 9211 wrote:

The whole point of this how to is to help those that cannot or will not completely replace their doors. Most people aren’t going to pull their door and frame to install a outward opening steel door with steel frame. For those folks, this is a solution.

You’re right a steel plate over the door will be far more adequate in strength of the door and under no circumstances will a door collapse with a solid steel plate behind it. But as suggested in the article the hinges should be replaced too. With that done the weakest part of the door will be at the frame where the door latch and dead bolt holes are located. These are generally just small thin pieces of plate screwed over a hole in the frame it doesn’t take much force to break the wood in those locations. What might help is overlaying a piece of 2×2 or 3×3 angle iron that is the height of the door with one side of the angle facing outward toward the exterior of the home and the other just inside the frame. Drill a few holes to drill into angle iron to secure tightly to the door frame and have holes cut out of the iron for your door latch and deadbolt.

Stocker
    Participant

Not sure if I have seen this product shown on the site already but here it is anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXjpy38ZLTE . Appears to be an economical security measure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.