Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry rifle slings

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  otis302 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

otis302

When I first got my Saiga I got a cheap sling now that my gun weighs in at 8.7 lbs I am looking at mabe a one point or a bungee I am not sure I want it around my neck with the weapon hanging so with out much effort I can level and go to the dance the one I have now is too short with it around my neck it holds the gun too high..

JulioTheSavage

This place here has pretty reasonable prices for slings and some variety.http://www.rockymountaintactical.net/They ain’t the more expensive name brands. I would like to try them out before I buy them but they look ok. They might be my next purchase for another sling.

PhilTheBiker

I know a guy in the army that makes his own.

Stocker
    Participant

Me too! Otis if you have a rail attached like I do I’ve got an idea for a single point guaranteed not to get in the way shooting.

JulioTheSavage

@stocker 6565 wrote:

Me too! Otis if you have a rail attached like I do I’ve got an idea for a single point guaranteed not to get in the way shooting.

I’m interested also.

otis302

let me know stocker

Stocker
    Participant

I’ll put something together. I looked at the site you gave Julio http://www.rockymountaintactical.net/ and by the looks of it they are using cheap buckles. These single point slings are tricky if you dont use the right ones, I’ve been using the one I have right now since 2004 and still have yet to have one break and drop my weapon. My opinion is to stick with Nexus.

Stocker
    Participant

One thing, are you a righty or lefty? If lefty we might need to think of different options. But here’s what I’m thinking. Using the body strap that I’ve talked about before that’s nothing more than 2 Friction buckles, 2 complete Buckles, and 1 inch tubular nylon long enough to go around your chest with about a foot of excess
    for adjustment. Here’s a photo.[ATTACH=CONFIG]559[/ATTACH]

Once I get home I’ll be able to take a photo of the end product, but for now here’s the idea. And the female buckle that is attached to the rail system can either be attached using tubular nylon or thick zip ties which I think might be a better idea.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]561[/ATTACH]
    Let me now if you have any concerns, like I said once I get out of Afghanistan and back home I’m going to be rigging up all my rifles and shotguns with this system. Til then, Keep your head on a swivel!

JulioTheSavage

Thanks Stocker for the info really appreciate it. Something I’m definitely gonna try out once I get the materials.

@stocker 6572 wrote:

Til then, Keep your head on a swivel!

You do the same.

Andrew

Time to revive this thread.

I purchased a Remington 783 several months ago and an optic for it about 3 months ago. The base to mount the scope came in earlier this week so I put it all together and realized I never bought a sling for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2657[/ATTACH]

As you can see it is a standard full length hunting rifle. I believe I want a traditional sling in leather but was interested in hearing from the other experiences hunters and gun folks on here. I am hoping to spend around $50 only on the sling.

Andrew

Read a good article over at All Outdoors titled Even a Hunting Rifle Needs a Good Sling. Made some good point on why you get what you pay for no matter what you buy, rifle slings included.

otis302

I have a 2 point Bungee sling on my ar I do not have a hunting rifle any more but I like how it works I can keep it tight for walking and when I present it it gives enough slack to acconidate my shooting style. Got it at a gun show for $25.00 cant remember the brand

Andrew

@otis302 20883 wrote:

I have a 2 point Bungee sling on my ar I do not have a hunting rifle any more but I like how it works I can keep it tight for walking and when I present it it gives enough slack to acconidate my shooting style. Got it at a gun show for $25.00 cant remember the brand

Have you carried the rifle long distances using that sling? Like 10-15 miles at a time? I am very familiar with nylon single point bungee slings. I do not want one it straight nylon. They are to slick and tend to slide off shoulders and I don’t want single point since the rifle does not need to be at or near the ready position. I did not know they made 2 point bungees. I have the impression the rifle weight would tend to bounce as you walked and get uncomfortable after a few miles. Has that been your experience?

otis302

Yes Andrew I have the option of carrying by my side or my back or shoulder with out taking it off. Very comfy

Andrew

I ordered this one about a week ago. Not exactlly what I was looking for but it was cheap. If it doesn’t work out I will find a use for it.

Butler Creek™ Alaskan Mag Rifle Sling

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2678[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.