Root Cellar From Wooden Pallets

Home Forums Homesteading Root Cellar From Wooden Pallets

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  survivaldiva 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

survivaldiva

It will be important to have a way to store a garden’s overflow and to store things we’d typically put in a fridge. Grid-down means we’ll need a plan B. Check out this pallet root cellar. It’s cheap and it’s important. Actually, it might be free. Look for free pallets at work sites, lumber companies and craigslist.

http://theepicenter.com/tow1102.html

azurevirus

Intersting article..I watched a film of a guy who moved to Alaska after his service stint and he lived off the land..he would smoke his meat and store it in his little hole in the ground which kept it good as even in warm weather appparently one could dig down to or below the permafrost or something..guess it was pretty cool down there..he built his own log cabin and lived there I think over 50 yrs before relatives made him come home..where he promptly died at 83 yo..his one room cabin is a monument or something of the state..dude was cool..built everything from scratch..filmed it all by himself using a 35mm camera or some such movie camera on a tripod..think the warmest he could get his cabin in the winter was 30-40 degrees or something..and talk about deep snow..wow..caught the film on PBS..wish I could remember the name of it..,I would buy a copy of it

00_Jackie

A good idea. I would have a problem digging the hole without the aid of some sort of machinery due to my soil being very hard and compacted. Currently, I am using my tornado cellar for food storage. My only problem is making sure I leave enough room for what it is actually intended for! Living in Oklahoma in Tornado alley, the cellar is a must. Actually thinking about renting one of those small backhoe things and digging 2 or 3 of these root cellars up the hill in the woods behind my house. Thanks for the idea.

Mrifenbark

Can I just rant about how pissed I am at my poor planning when setting up my cabin. I had it placed and completely forgot to dig my root cellar first. Now with no way to lift or move my 12′ x 32′ cabin I am looking for a new way to store food. I hunt but have to use a friends freezer at the moment to store our meat. We have a hillside along the cabin and the dirt is full of large flat stones, but with no equipment to dig with I don’t think I could make a dent in it. I would love to dig it out and use the stones to line the walls. Maybe one day…….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@mrifenbark 17069 wrote:

Can I just rant about how pissed I am at my poor planning when setting up my cabin. I had it placed and completely forgot to dig my root cellar first. Now with no way to lift or move my 12′ x 32′ cabin I am looking for a new way to store food. I hunt but have to use a friends freezer at the moment to store our meat. We have a hillside along the cabin and the dirt is full of large flat stones, but with no equipment to dig with I don’t think I could make a dent in it. I would love to dig it out and use the stones to line the walls. Maybe one day…….

Any chance we could see some pics of the cabin you speak of? I love to see pictures of paradise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Mrifenbark

We bought the shell and plan on starting the interior build out by the end of the month. We have ordered lumber and other building materials and are waiting to get them all together. We have had the unit sitting for a year now and can finally see the light at the end of a very long tunnel. e2umese5.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.