Skinning and dressing squirrel and similar game

Home Forums Survival Skills Skinning and dressing squirrel and similar game

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Andrew

My son really wants to kill and eat one of the squirrels in our yard so I have been researching how to snare, skin, dress and prepare squirrel. Maybe everyone else already knows that stuff but this thread is for those that do not to learn and those that do to share their techniques or experience.

Andrew

This is pretty impressive actually. It ruins the hide but it is quick.

Andrew

Almost same technique for removing hide. Also includes an expedient way to gut it.

DCortez

Haven’t seen one cleaned since 1974. Great grandmother did it.

Easy peezy.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Good video he sure makes it look easy, I never skinned a squirrel but did rabbits as a kid while really not knowing what I was doing. I’ve skinned deer and hogs and was taught to use my foot to help pull the hide off when its closer to bottom of the hanging carcass. Smaller game looks more challenging to me as you’ve got very little to hang on to while skinning.

Andrew

Andrew

Another good video on skinning and gutting a squirrel. He does a good job of demonstrating and explaining how to gut it.

PhilTheBiker

That is not how I would clean a rabbit. Looks like a lot more work than what I do.

Andrew

@philthebiker 18980 wrote:

That is not how I would clean a rabbit. Looks like a lot more work than what I do.

When are you posting your Rabbit cleaning video?

PhilTheBiker

There are plenty out there. I’ll see if I can find one which shows the way I clean a rabbit.

Andrew

@philthebiker 18990 wrote:

There are plenty out there. I’ll see if I can find one which shows the way I clean a rabbit.

Come on now. You don’t want to make a HomesteadPhil Rabbit skinning video?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 18996 wrote:

Come on now. You don’t want to make a HomesteadPhil Rabbit skinning video?

I’m with Andrew on this, I vote for an exclusive homestead Phil rabbit skinning video.

PhilTheBiker

My wife wants no part of the processing aspect of things and my hands are too full to hold a camera. But maybe I’ll take some pictures of my processing station. I was about to process 5 rabbits, but I found someone on craigslist that is interested in getting into meat rabbits and offered me $120 for the 5 doe rabbits I have. So… I’m selling them this friday, if not friday then I’m processing this weekend.

Andrew

@philthebiker 19006 wrote:

My wife wants no part of the processing aspect of things and my hands are too full to hold a camera. But maybe I’ll take some pictures of my processing station. I was about to process 5 rabbits, but I found someone on craigslist that is interested in getting into meat rabbits and offered me $120 for the 5 doe rabbits I have. So… I’m selling them this friday, if not friday then I’m processing this weekend.

Tripod for camera?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

$120 for 5 sounds like it could be profitable

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.