Skinning and dressing squirrel and similar game

Home Forums Survival Skills Skinning and dressing squirrel and similar game

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

I use my iPhone for all videos.

Yes, $120 for 5 rabbits that cost me $20 – $30 in feed is pretty darn amazing.

I think I’m going to try and get into supplying ‘trio’ of rabbits. One buck, two does for $150 and see if anyone bites. My cost would be under $30 plus my time.

Lots of people are starting to wake up and care where their food source comes from! The person that is scheduled to pick up on Friday can literally have between 25 and 50 rabbits within 4 weeks. With in 20 weeks of purchase they have the potential to produce between 50 and 100 pounds of meat for their family and will have spent less than $40 in feed costs to do so. Imagine every 24 -26 weeks have 100 pounds of good quality meat for $40. Obviously there are some start up costs.

I actually just found someone that will buy rabbit pelts from me. So I’m going to start selling those.

Andrew

mage2

I went from learning on deer (texas whitetail) to rabbits. The first thing i noticed is that rabbit skin tears easily, real easy. So take your time.
    As for deer, i met a hunter that does what he has deemed the “gutless processing” without gutting the deer, pull up on a hoist. skin, then take off the fore quarters, back strap, and then rear quarters, leaving the guts in. Toss the guts. he said that usually the tenderloins are not worth it.
    Its way more wasteful but man was it fast. Now I usually do it the older way , but I can see this if you are in a hurry.

PhilTheBiker

@mage2 19623 wrote:

he said that usually the tenderloins are not worth it.

seriously? Wow, that is some good meat and you usually end up with several pounds depending on the size of the deer. You are talking 2 – 3 minutes to gut a deer and some dirty hands. crazy. Plus the idea of gutting is to cool the inside down as quickly as possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.