SKS RIfle Magazine issues, modification, etc.

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry SKS RIfle Magazine issues, modification, etc.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Andrew

Don’t want to limit the thread to only the discussion of this one video but figured this would be a good place to discuss the SKS and magazine / clip issues, solutions or ideas.

PhilTheBiker

In some states (maybe even federal) placing a magazine on an SKS breaks the law. The Federal law requires you use, what 9?, made in the USA parts. States like Maryland actually make it a crime to do this as an SKS with a 5 or 10 round internal magazine can be purchased without paperwork, adding a magazine changes it to a different class of firearm which requires paperwork.

I also did something like this and found the magazines cumbersome to use so I converted back and then eventually sold the rifle.

Andrew

Not a federal law. This should not affect 922 compliance.

Please elaborate on why you found it to be cumbersome

Alonso1

Back in the day when I had a lot of guns, I owned several SKS rifles. I did add a fixed 30 round magazine to one of them. I found when reloading with stripper clips, the first 10 rounds went in fast and easy. The second stripper clip would be a little stiff and slower to reload and the third stripper clip wouldn’t completely load.

I tried working with it for a while but it never got any easier to reload. I found it was easier and faster to just reload the stock 10 magazine with a stripper clip. So like many aftermarket parts I bought for my guns over the years, the 30 round magazine was removed and the stock 10 round magazine was placed back on the rifle.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 21054 wrote:

Not a federal law. This should not affect 922 compliance.

Please elaborate on why you found it to be cumbersome

I thought you had to have 7 parts or something even with the magazine. Guess I’m wrong.

The cumbersome problem was pulling the magazine out and putting another one in. You have to get it just right. I think I had a tapco mag? Anyway, if it was just for casual range shooting not a problem. If it was for life or death and I need to reload, I don’t recommend this setup.

Andrew

@philthebiker 21076 wrote:

I thought you had to have 7 parts or something even with the magazine. Guess I’m wrong.

The cumbersome problem was pulling the magazine out and putting another one in. You have to get it just right. I think I had a tapco mag? Anyway, if it was just for casual range shooting not a problem. If it was for life or death and I need to reload, I don’t recommend this setup.

You are right. You have to have 7 US made parts on rifles imported. Unless the original magazine you remove was a US part and you replace it with a non US part this modification should hae no effect on 922 compliance. I do not believe the Original magazine is a US part so replacing it does nothing.

What if you replaced the original non detachable Mag with the the detachable 30 rounder and still just treated it as a non detachable? You would still have the potential for increased capacity. The original mag is not detachable so all adding the 30 rounder does is increase capacity.

boisdarc

this is a link to another site hope, it is ok, if not mod just delete it- step by step how to change an sks to accept ak mags. SKS to AK mag conversion – Shooting Sports Forum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.