Snake Identification

Home Forums Survival Skills Snake Identification

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TeknaBuzz 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Even if you don’t ever plan on going into the woods I think its still important to be able to identify a snake and just because you live in urban environment doesn’t mean you won’t ever encounter a snake especially if you live in a climate that common to host snakes. I think it might be best if you learned the snakes common for your general area especially if you’re new to snake identification, I’d hate for somebody to confuse a venomous snake for a non venomous species that isn’t even a snake of that region. For example corral snake and a certain species of king snakes can often be confused.

Currently, there is at least one species of venomous snake found in every State in the U.S. except Maine, Alaska and Hawaii. And honestly I learned something new cause I would’ve thought that tropical Hawaii would surely have some type of venomous snake.

Here’s a few links for a few different areas but as you’ll see a lot of snakes in North American can be found all across the United States.
    Texas:
    http://www.texassnakes.net/pictures.html
    Oklahoma:
    http://www.oksnakes.org/index.cfm?id=6&all=1
    North Carolina:
    http://www.herpsofnc.org/
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/snakepix3.html
    Florida:
    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/snakekey.htm
    California:
    http://www.californiaherps.com/identification/snakesid/snakes.id.html

Poisionous Snakes of North America
    http://www.trailquest.net/SNpoi.html

I apologize that some of the links are better quality than others but this should be a good start. If others would please share other links to snake identification sites that would be helpful.

azurevirus

Snakes are Zombies..terminate with extreme predjudice immediately!

Seriously, down here I have seen 4 kinds of snakes..rattlers, moccasins and one grass snake, one blue racer..the grass snake survived its encounter with me as I just let it go….the racer moved so fast I couldnt get a bead on it with Baretta combat…sure was pretty from the 2-3 seconds I saw it..actually I used to hunt snakes in upstate NY..be nests of them along the river bank..walk in the tall grass , evry few yards stop…when the grass starts moving all around you..you were in a nest ..twas a rapid fire adrenaline filled time I tell ya

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I generally will not mess with the snakes even the poisonous ones unless they’re somewhere they don’t belong and that does include my yard. If you’re somewhere in the southeastern United States and you come across a rattler it might be a timber rattler that is actually a endangered species. I heard of a family in Tennessee (I believe) that called animal control for finding a snake nest in a wood pile in their backyard and it turned out to be a nest of timber rattler’s and they couldn’t do anything about and frequently checked to make sure the family didn’t bother them as I’m sure would come with a hefty fine if they did.

DCortez

Snakes don’t bother me, but if they are poisonous and I have a clear shot/whack …

azurevirus

The boys down here kill rattlers all the time…being on the lake is strange..they are big on wildlife..and the Lake has its own police force..when I go fishing on the bank..moccasins would pass within 4′ of me in the water..I would bean them with my fishing pole and watch them sink..we used to gig them too when I worked at another resort..sure is quiet in here tonight

otis302

When I lived in south Florida we had 4 poisonous snakes dimond back, pigmy rattler, coral snake and the one I hated the most the moccasins they were aggresive the others would go the other way.

Alonso1

Anytime I’m in the woods with someone. I tell them if they hear a loud girly scream and they see me running, that means I saw a snake and they should get out of the area.

There are a lot of copperheads in my area. My neighbors have a cat and during this past summer the cat’s head had swollen almost twice it’s normal size. My neighbor said he found the cat with a dead copperhead on his back porch. Apparently, the cat killed the snake, but the copperhead managed to get 2 hits on the cat’s head. Since then the cat has recovered and he is always welcomed in our yard and he even gets milk and treats whenever he comes to visit.

azurevirus

One of my nephews dogs got nailed in Atlanta by a snake..copperhead or moccasin..hes ok now but it cost my nephew 700 dollars…it sees that animals tend to have a higher resistance to poisinous snake bites..or maybe its my imagination…I see on some Disc channel last week where some professor over in some other country got bit by a Fer De lance..the deadliest pit viper there is supposedly..he traveled alot of miles.I believe it was 2000 to get help..lucky for him he made it..didnt even loose the finger..Snakes to me, I dont know..anything that can be that quiet and sneaky I just dont trust..same with spiders

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’ve encountered many different kinds of poisonous snakes in my life and out of all of them the most aggressive was the copperheads. Thankfully I’ve never been bit but I’ve stepped on 2 copperheads on different occasions and both times they struck at me and held their ground even after taking many steps backwards to allow them their space. I’ve stepped on rattle snakes of all sizes but most of the time I got the audible warning of the rattlers within a few feet of them, even after accidentally stepping on a few of the 100’s I’ve came across I’ve honestly never had a rattle snake try to bite me except the times I was trying to kill them.

Water moccasins are pretty aggressive too especially when in the water I’ve had them chase me down a river bank with the steep ledge that wasn’t climbable while they was swimming in the water and I was on the ground. When I used to go fishing in North Carolina I seen water moccasins the size of Diamondbacks we have in central Texas. One time when I was about 12 years old in NC me and a neighborhood kid was fishing underneath a tree which we had been for like 45 minutes. I literally had a branch about 2 feet above where I was sitting. Well the other kid stands up and starts baiting his hook and then says “Hey!” and I looked up at him and he pointed above my head and I had a huge water moccasins right above my head. This was a very frightening moment because the kid started poking at the snake with his fishing pole before I could get out from underneath it.

Alonso, my sister had a cat many years ago that showed up on the porch one day with a swollen head probably more than twice the size of normal and we assumed it had been bitten by a snake, but as big as the swelling was I’d would’ve never thought the cat would ever make it but it did.

BugOutReview

Utah is home to seven species of venomous snake, all of which are classed as rattlesnakes. These species are all mainly found in the southern part of the state with the speckled, Mojave, Great Basin, sidewinder and Hopi rattlesnakes being mainly in the southwest. In the southeast of the state can be found the green prairie and midget faded rattler species. The nightsnake found throughout the state also produces venom to subdue its prey, but is not toxic enough to harm humans.

Andrew

I was thinking about snakes earlier today. Still dislike them. Found this medical advice for dealing with snakebites. Some interesting info on there that counters commonly understoodl treatments.

Some definite No No’s for Snake Bite First Aid

NO aspirin or other pain relievers.
    NO tourniquets. This cuts blood flow completely and may result in loss of the affected limb.
    DO NOT try to suck the venom out of the wound or cut into the bite with a knife. Such measures have not been proven useful and may cause further injury (see below explanation).
    DO NOT apply a cold compress or ice on the bite. Research has shown this to be potentially harmful.
    DO NOT raise the wound above the heart. Raising it can cause venom to travel into the body. Holding it down, can increase swelling.
    DO NOT use electric shock or a stun gun on the bite area. This method is under study and has yet to be proven effective. It could harm the victim.
    DO NOT wash the snake bite area – Australian recommendations for snake bite treatment strongly recommend against cleaning the wound. Traces of venom left on the skin/bandages from the strike can be used in combination with a snake bite identification kit to identify the species of snake. This speeds determination of which anti-venom to administer in the emergency room.(1)
    DO NOT try and capture the snake. If it’s safe you can try to take a photo with a camera or with your phone. This is the best way in aiding snake identification.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1844[/ATTACH]

More info here

Cranky1

And people think I’m crazy for living in the yukon! Haha, no rats here either. Cheers jim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.