The 1911 Pistol

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry The 1911 Pistol

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Andrew

I created this thread as a catch all to discuss the 1911 pistol. The 1911 is an iconic pistol so I figured there is room for plenty of conversation.

azurevirus

If your talking the 45 cal version..I think they are awesome for their stopping power..I own one made by Springfeild Armory..I watched one of those cop shows where cops chased some kids in a truck and eventully they went into the ditch..where at they exited the truck and began firing at the cops..one huge cop, maybe 6’5 or more and looked like he went a solid 300 lbs took a round in his upper left arm from a 45 the kid had..it knocked him back roughly 8 ft ..he was backpeddling as fast as he could when he got hit but even after that he hit the ground hard on his back..cop was ok..but that 45 round coulda done some serious damage to that arm if hit in the right place..may even could have lost the arm..the two pistols I have are this one and a 40 XD 2 extended mags and 3 reg mags each.

Andrew

There is a great article that chronicles the history of the 1911 in the 2011 Gun Digest Annual. It is on page 151.

Link here might work.

LINK

Andrew

@azurevirus 8397 wrote:

If your talking the 45 cal version..I think they are awesome for their stopping power……………………………………… that 45 round coulda done some serious damage to that arm if hit in the right place..may even could have lost the arm..the two pistols I have are this one and a 40 XD 2 extended mags and 3 reg mags each.

I wasn’t necessary implying that we should limit the discussion to the 45 ACP version of the 1911 but the first 1911 used by the U.S. Army was in fact chambered for the 45 ACP.

You are correct that the 45 ACP cartridge is well renound for its stopping power. There are folks out there that believe that all lower caliber rounds are inferior in every way.

Andrew

I now have 2 1911s I need to get night sights for. I don’t see how folks survived and fought at night without them.

Andrew

Holster for the 3″ 1911 came today. I will carry it this evening when we go out. Pictures and review coming soon.

Andrew

I carried the new Citadel 1911 I have in a Don Hume H715 holster for about three hours this evening. It was surprisingly comfortable. Well as comfortable as carrying a 30 oz gun on your hip can be. It was no less comfortable then carrying my Glock 27.

The holster needs to be broken in. I am guessing it needs about 40-50 hours of carry on it and it should be a bit more comfortable.

Here are some pictures of the pistol and the holster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]801[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]802[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]803[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]804[/ATTACH]

Dropy

My EDC is a sig saur 1911 STX. Wifes is the Sig Saur 1911 C3.

DCortez

Grats. There’s nothing like a 1911.

shottist

oh, bs. pistol hits dont move anyone’s body, at ALL. guys have shot themselves , while wearing armor, with .44 mags, then shot a string of targets, to show that they are not disabled by the hit. google for second chance body armor, to see videos of such things.

Andrew

@shottist 12507 wrote:

oh, bs. pistol hits dont move anyone’s body, at ALL. guys have shot themselves , while wearing armor, with .44 mags, then shot a string of targets, to show that they are not disabled by the hit. google for second chance body armor, to see videos of such things.

What are you talking about? The thread is about the 1911 pistol and has nothing to do with the impact of rounds moving people bodies?

shottist

tell that to the guy on this thread who claimed otherwise.

Andrew

I must have missed that post. Perhaps by “pistol hits” he actually meant hitting them with the pistol. They might move away if you hit them with a full size 1911.

shottist

u can’t read, obviously. One of your earlier respondents claimed that a .45 hit moved a man backwards by 8 ft.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.