The Alpha Tent

Home Forums Gear & Equipment The Alpha Tent

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Andrew

This thing is pretty cool. I made one about a month ago. I will use it to sleep outside some time this summer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356[/ATTACH]

I ordered my tent poles from Tom at http://www.polesforyou.com

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

What size and how many sections of the tent poles did you need for this? I just realized this was made out of poncho I have a very similar USGI poncho in my duffel bag.

Andrew

I think Tom did about 12″sections. I will have to take and share pics of the setup all rolled up. I use penny nails as stakes and 550 cord to hole it down. penny nails and 550 have multiple other uses so I figured the additional space and weight where okay.

Also, I went with aluminum on the poles. I do not regret the additional cost.

vbreferee

Looks like a nice set-up, and a great way to use items you are already carrying. Very inventive. I love multiple uses.

PhilTheBiker

Looks like it would get the job done. thanks for sharing.

Maybe post some pictures of all of the parts you used? Maybe a parts list?

Andrew

If you click on the tent in the original picture it is hyper-linked to the article about the tent. I will post some pics or a video in the future that should my set up.

Andrew

Here is someone else’s video of one in action.

Andrew

Here is my Alpha Tent rolled and then laid out. I am not happy with the wire nuts on the end of the poles so they are absent. I am going to visit Home Depot tomorrow and see if I can find something better to use.

Rolled Up.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]361[/ATTACH]

Laid out.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]364[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

Nice!!! Guess I should have just clicked!

Andrew

So I got the tent set up last night. I went a different route with the poles and used hose clamps on them. I really didn’t want to mess with disassembling them and for some reason I don’t like the bright red wire nuts.
    I ended up cutting off the excess thread on the clamps and having to file them down so there where no sharp edges. I am very happy with the way it turned out though.

Hose Clamp
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]384[/ATTACH]

Pole through grommet on tarp
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]385[/ATTACH]

Andrew

Also. I used two velcro cable ties (for use with computers) to assist with keeping the poles centered under the poncho hood while the tent was erected. I also used them to secure the poles when I stored them.

APC Velcro Straps
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]386[/ATTACH]

Straps securing poles in center of poncho
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]387[/ATTACH]

Straps securing poles when stowed
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]388[/ATTACH]

DCortez

Pretty sweet, Andrew. Necessity is the mother of invtention.

Andrew

Here is a picture of mien set up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]389[/ATTACH]

Andrew

This thing has been backup up since last July. I forgot about it. I am going to have to get it out and go “camping” in the yard with my 5 year old.

otis302

That is a nice set up Andrew how do you get in and out , just keep the tie downs lose and lift it up? I mentioned I use a tarp set up, all the time but this week end is 2nd phase of hog season and I am making a truck tent out of pvc and a tarp I saw some comfy set ups.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.