Home Forums Gear & Equipment The Axe

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Andrew

The place to discuss the axe, splitting maul, and hatchets.

Andrew

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I honestly haven’t had very good experiences with hatchets and have found most of what I’ve chopped with a hatchet could have been taken care of with a machete which to me is a better universal tool over the hatchets.

Can’t split wood with a machete and I’m sure it could be done but splitting wood with hatchet would probably be a lot of work.

I don’t know the brand but buddy on my hunting lease keeps an axe with a yellow solid hard plastic handle that I’ve split a ton of wood with ease. He swears by this axe and actually has at least 2 of them that I know of. States that the axe last longer than wooden handle axes that eventually rot and become weak at the head of the axe.

alwayscross

I dont really like the idea of an axe really, survival or weapon. Just not for me I guess, many reason why. Ive always been a knife person, can do pretty much everything an axe can do and more. For the basics as a weapon there slow/heavy and can get stuck in limbs, which is bad if you against multiple people. They cant really be concealed, plus the maintenance depending on the axe can be high. As for a hatchet I dont mind but its still got a lot of the same bad features as an axe, like I said im a knife person.

Andrew

The real intent of the thread was to discuss uses for an Axe, maul or hatchet and which ones folks like. Clearly, folks do not like axes or hatchets at all 🙂

I grew up in a community were the saw mill was the largest employer and we had a wood burning stove to heat our house so I can tell you that mauls and axes are useful.

If possible, let’s mentally move pat the first 90-180 days and assume someone has survived and is going on with life. Let’s now enter make believe land where not everyone loathes the axe. Lets further assume this survivor is going to use an axe, maul or hatchet. Anyone have any advice or recommend a certain make model, length, material or anything?

Andrew

@teknabuzz 19864 wrote:

I don’t know the brand but buddy on my hunting lease keeps an axe with a yellow solid hard plastic handle that I’ve split a ton of wood with ease. He swears by this axe and actually has at least 2 of them that I know of. States that the axe last longer than wooden handle axes that eventually rot and become weak at the head of the axe.

Any idea what brand?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 19881 wrote:

Any idea what brand?

I’m not sure if this is it but it does look like this: Axes | Leatherhead Tools the flat head type. I only split wood with it didn’t chop but it did split wood really good and I have used axes that didn’t split wood good at all but of course the guy in the video I’m sure has a ton more experience than me.

Just to add some more knowledge of splitting wood depending on the type of wood some wood is easier to split when freshly cut while others split better after it’s gone through a good season of aging. I’ve mostly dealt with oak and found oaks to be more difficult to split when freshly cut. But despite being more difficult it seems most people prefer to split it while green so that it drys out faster.

When I was teenager we would get side jobs that involved clearing property and we eventually got a trailer pull wood splitter that did all the work for us. We’d split the oaks up into cords of wood and sell them to richer folk living in the upper end Dallas neighborhoods.

otis302

I have 2 machete my Gerber has a saw on the other side but I have a Estwing axe/hatchet about 30 inches long I use it for bigger pieces of wood or turn it over and use it as a hammer it can always be used as a weapon but really I can get along with out it I can shave with my machete, but my thought is take as much as you can so if you lose or break some thing you have a back up. My estwing is all steel with a durable ventilated rubber handle. If I did not have that and wanted to split wood I have a Gerber fixed blade that I would use and that I would set blade down on piece of wood and take another and wallop it till it split. But I have used there hammers for years this is not the one I have I have had it for 15 yrs but you get the idea[ATTACH=CONFIG]2502[/ATTACH]

Andrew

@teknabuzz 19885 wrote:

I’m not sure if this is it but it does look like this: Axes | Leatherhead Tools the flat head type. I only split wood with it didn’t chop but it did split wood really good and I have used axes that didn’t split wood good at all but of course the guy in the video I’m sure has a ton more experience than me.

It looks like you can get one for about $100. That is a reasonable price for a good axe.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@andrew.anderson 19897 wrote:

It looks like you can get one for about $100. That is a reasonable price for a good axe.

Like I said I’m not sure that is the one but it does look like it. I actually think I seen those listed somewhere around $60 when I searched google shopping.

I have a small camp axe more like a hatchet that has a similar yellow handle that I got from harbor freight and truthfully I think it sucks but I’ve never had really good experiences with hatchets.

This is a good topic because eventually I plan to get a good axe that stays mounted on my truck mainly as being part of emergency recovery gear while off roading.

Andrew

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.