Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry TulAmmo?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Alonso1 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Alonso1

Since the reelection of Barry Hussein, I have been buying up ammo when I can find it. For the last 8 months I’ve purchased TulAmmo (Tula) 5.56 and have acquired about 300 rounds. I was OK with buying Tula 5.56 because I have fired thousands of Tula 9mm through my Glock 17 without a single stoppage ever.

This past Friday I took my biathlon gun out to the range. I fired about 30 of my reloads then started to shoot some Tula 5.56 to see how it would group. I shot 5 rounds which gave me a 1.5 MOA group at 25m. When I fired at the next target, the empty case got stuck in the chamber. I mortared the gun but all that did was pull the bolt off the case. I had to use a cleaning rod to get the case out. If I was in a SHTF moment, my rifle would have been out of action.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. For most people with better sense than I, the story would have stopped there. However, knowing I still have a good amount of Tula, I was hoping it was just a fluke and I would be able to shoot up the rest with no problems.

Once the stuck case was out I continued to fire more rounds. Not for groups but for functioning. I managed 11 rounds before the next stuck case. I cleared the weapon with a cleaning rod and resumed firing. At this point, I forgot to keep a round count because I was getting pissed. I think it would be fair to say I went through another 30 or more rounds before the next stuck case. That’s all I needed to see, I was done.

In the past, I’ve shot quite a bit (a couple of hundred) of Monarch and Wolf steel case out of this rifle with no problems at all.

Before the ammo shortage, my purpose of buying steel case ammo was to have it on hand for my kid’s to plink with. After I saw how the Wolf and Monarch preformed, I figured Tula would be OK.

I started to dig around on the Internet and and found that it’s believed Tula and Herter’s are the same ammo. If you own any of this ammunition, if you have not done so already, go fire some rounds and see if it works for your rifle. A stuck case in a SHTF world would suck!

Good luck, oh, and by the way, does anyone want to but some Tula 5.56 😀

otis302

when I frst got my saiga I had a box of those had one hanger and a stove pipe they cant give me that stuff

Alonso1

Crap! I’m going around the house and checking all of my stash magazines (Loaded magazines I hide around the house, my wife hates it) and have found 6 more with steel case. Gotta change them out with brass.

PhilTheBiker

I’ve fired a ton of tulu 7.62 rounds in AK’s without an issue. I’m pretty sure I’ve shot some 556 or 223 in a friends rifle and never had an issue.

One thing I can say, you must clean that rifle well after about 200 rounds from things I’ve read.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I do not own any Tula ammo but I do have some (200 rounds) of Herters steel case in .223 that I have not tested yet.

Alonso1

@philthebiker 14781 wrote:

I’ve fired a ton of tulu 7.62 rounds in AK’s without an issue. I’m pretty sure I’ve shot some 556 or 223 in a friends rifle and never had an issue.

One thing I can say, you must clean that rifle well after about 200 rounds from things I’ve read.

A few years ago my department purchased a ton of frangible 5.56. The only rifles that would eat it were the Bushmasters. Colt, RRA, etc…constant stoppages. I almost bought a Bushmaster just so I could shoot up the ammo no one was using. Guns are funny.

PhilTheBiker

Yeah, I bought some cheap 9mm once, can’t remember the budget/value pack brand. Jamm after jamm. Put some better ammo, never a problem. I do know the tula ammo seems to have some sort of light gunk on it. Pretty sure that might have something to do with it, I doono. Or I’m thinking of another ammo.

Andrew

I have some Tul for my AK. I have never fired it. maybe I will see what I can sell it for.

Alonso1

A bit of good news today. It kills me to see all that ammo (Tula) just sitting there in the gun room so I took 60 rounds of it and a cleaning rod with me to the range. I was able to fire all 60 rounds with no issues.

I’m getting ready for a match in September so all I did was close up work. I think as long as I’m prepared with a cleaning rod, I’ll use up my supply of Tula and be done with it.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@alonso1 14893 wrote:

A bit of good news today. It kills me to see all that ammo (Tula) just sitting there in the gun room so I took 60 rounds of it and a cleaning rod with me to the range. I was able to fire all 60 rounds with no issues.

I’m getting ready for a match in September so all I did was close up work. I think as long as I’m prepared with a cleaning rod, I’ll use up my supply of Tula and be done with it.

I’ve only went to the range maybe 2 or 3 times since going to pistol classes. My job is nearing completion and I’m hoping to afford to take a week or 2 off before starting the next one and some range time is on the top of the list of things to get done during the down time.

Alonso1

****Tula Update****

For what its worth. I was at my range yesterday and decided to finish my supply of Tula. I had about 180 rounds left. I started at the speed wall which has a 20″ x 20″ square steel at 250 yards and a man shaped silhouette about 10″ wide and 12″ high.

At 250 I was getting about 6 out of 10 hits on the 20″ x 20″ and 3 out of 10 on the silhouette I was getting about 3 out of 10. When I switched to my reloads it was an easy 10 for 10 on both the targets. Now, I’m not trying to bragg and I’ll be totally honest. I was leaning against a fence for support, it’s not like I was shooting unsupported; but the point is the accuracy was not that great but all the rounds fired, cycled and ejected.

Next I went to do some CQB. I fired off a few magazines pretty fast at some targets. All the Tula fired and at close range between 5ft to 20ft, I could not tell the difference between the reloads and the Tula.

I feel a little better about it now. I don’t know what caused the stoppages the first time I shot with it but the Tula worked fine this time, except for the accuracy. I finally used up all the steel case I have and I don’t plan to ever buy anymore but if I had a few more rounds of Tula, I would use it for CQB training but that’s about it.

PhilTheBiker

I put 50 rounds of Tula ammo through my 9mm Glock the other day, no issues.

Alonso1

@philthebiker 15766 wrote:

I put 50 rounds of Tula ammo through my 9mm Glock the other day, no issues.

Good point! Let me clarify. I was referring to Tula 5.56 in this thread. My Glock 17 eats up Tula 9mm all day long. I have a ridiculous stockpile of Tula 9mm and I still buy it every chance I get.

Stocker
    Participant

Thanks for the post, I have been wondering for a while how well tul ammo shoots compared to WPA. Think I’ll stick with Wolf.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.