Walking Sticks

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Walking Sticks

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Andrew

Who uses one, wants one or has made one? Do you have any you recommend? Any you don’t recommend?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’m going to admit I kind of skimmed thru the video skipping some segments but never seen him go over the many uses of a walking stick. If your going up steep terrain or even walking in slippery terrain a walking stick will help you get better leverage. It’s like going from 2 wheel drive to in this case 3 wheel drive. They are also good to have that additional reach of the stick if you come across a snake while walking. In a survival situation where you don’t have any gear at all a good sturdy walking stick from a native hard wood tree could be the best defensive weapon to your disposal while out in the wilderness as even some of the most vicious predators that would like to eat you alive would hopefully retreat after taking a few good hits with the stick.

When I was young boy I didn’t know it then but looking back I had a good friend who’s parents was into the whole primitive survival stuff. I remember the boy’s step dad not only teaching us about walking sticks but also showed us how to place the tip of the walking stick into the hot coals of our campfire to let the tip smolder in the hot coals to later remove and sharpen the tip of the stick on a rock which made a spear tipped stick.

If you’re in some dense woods chances are you can find a decent stick without too much trouble from a limb that has fallen or even by breaking one off of a tree and only needing to break off a few smaller twigs from the branch. IMO, and ideal walking stick would be about 1 1/2″ to 2″ in diameter and be of type of hardwood such as oak, cherry, maple etc. From what I’ve read about 40% of trees in America are hardwoods but that’s hard to believe in my area that’s filled with seemingly 99% pines. But even in the dense pinewood forest you can and will find hardwood trees with the exception of pine tree farm.

686packer

I used to live in an area where there were a lot of loose dogs so I carried a stick when I did some recreational walking. A quick rap on the snout would turn them around pretty quickly. Sometimes just the sound of it cutting through the air would deter them. After moving away from there I saw a tv news item about a group of dogs attacking a cable tv worker and injuring him pretty severely. I recognized the house where they came from and I had encountered those dogs a couple of times. I’m guessing the stick kept me from the same condition as the cable guy.

Andrew

I just need to get out and be on the lookout for a good stick to use as a start for a walking stick. We have only been hiking a handful of times this season.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

The best walking stick you can find is a good piece of driftwood that hasn’t softened up too much but already smoothed out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.