What Have You Bought To Prepare This Week?

Home Forums Planning & Preparation What Have You Bought To Prepare This Week?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I’ve been meaning to start this thread for quite awhile now, and my goal for it is to not be overly extreme with it by setting a realistic affordable budget for the common person to be able to follow and be working towards preparedness without breaking the bank. This as important to me to help me stay motivated and keep my focus on ensuring that I’m always doing something that is working towards a higher level of preparedness.

Recently my wife has really kicked drinking soda’s nearly completely and has been drinking lots and lots of water, and my kids already mostly drink water. We buy the kids those little 8oz bottles of water and they still are wasteful at times with it but we already go thru a lot of water in a non disaster mode. Since the increase of water intake by my wife I imagine that we’ve been going thru about a case and a half of water per week. With this recent influx of added water intake from the family I realize that our supply of water have been depleting.

Knowing that summer and hurricane season is quickly approaching I think it’s a safe bet that as the heat of summer and peak hurricane season nears closer it’s a safe bet that the price of water will seasonally increase. So this week I made it a priority to focus on extra water for our preparedness item.

My goal for this thread is for it be motivational and encourage not to be a competition. I really don’t care what people share and how much they claim to spend but I will be focusing on affordability for the everyday individual and nothing I select to stock up on each week will consist of guns or ammo because we all know that I spend entirely way too much on that anyways and we can’t let the wife find just how much that actually is. LOL

Anyways today I bought 5 cases of bottle water that consisted of 32 16.9oz bottles of water each. Each case was $4.98 at my local wal-mart which came out to be about $25+ tax.

160 x 16.9oz = 2704 oz’s
    2704 oz’s converts into 21.125 gallons of water
    21.125 gallons of water = about a 5 day water supply for my family of 4 @ gallon per day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1241[/ATTACH]

I’m kindly asking all the members here to help participate in this thread to be motivating and inspiring to others.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I started this thread with the intentions to update it weekly but to be quite honest I haven’t been to the grocery store in the past month. But what I have been working on is upgrading my 2013 garden. I got a late start back in March I was going to plant but if I remember right some bad weather delayed me from doing so and it seems we’ve had something going every chance I had some spare time. I finally got this accomplished:

This is my new upgraded garden size for this year:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1349[/ATTACH]

This is what my garden looked like last year:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1350[/ATTACH]

Last year I figured out that if I watered twice a day in helps reduce them spiders I get on my tomatoes towards the peak of the summer. But I have a hard time being dedicated enough to water once a day much less twice a day. So to resolve this I bought an automatic timer for the watering:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1351[/ATTACH]
    I think I payed about $25 dollars for the timer.

I had to buy landscape timbers and I chose my local in town lumber supply to buy and they was about $4 each, plus I bought a bunch of soil to fill this new taller and larger raised bed. I got some extra room in my garden and I will be adding some jalepeno’s the ones I grew last year was very hot right off the plant but I’ve learned you can put them in a jar of vinegar and let them sit for awhile to give them a more appropriate amount of spicy.

I took my kids with me to buy the garden stuff I’ve already got and my son wanted grapes so they’re planted elsewhere in the yard, its more of a bush and my daughter wanted strawberries so we got some of those in the garden. I made the mistake of underestimating just how much new soil I needed, so I had all these baby plants in their store containers on my porch for a week before getting them into the ground. I was bit concerned cause my cucumbers and the strawberries was really looking ill when I planted them into the soil but they’re starting to appear like they’re going to make it.

If I had to guess I’d say I spent between $150-$175 on getting this garden going over the course of the past 4 weeks or so and large percentage of that was getting the new soil. I put this bed right over my existing lawn and didn’t try softing the soil up at all. What I did was got a bunch of news paper and laid it on top of all the grass and then I started putting the dirt onto it. It’s about 10-12 inches of soil over this grass and from what I read the news paper will smother the grass so I don’t have to worry about weeds popping up. The news paper will eventually decay and serve as compost. If your interested in this method I believe its called lasagna gardening or something like that.

Andrew

That looks nice. Looks like work though.

Andrew

This is the first 2 batches of ammo that came in this week. The other should arrive later this week.

There is alot debate as to how much ammo you need. Regardless. More is better then less.

200 Rounds – Remington Gold Sabre 357 Magnum 125 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point
    500 Rounds – Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammunition 40 S&W 170 Grain Full Metal Jacket Flat Nose
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1359[/ATTACH]

50 Rounds – Federal American Eagle 40 S&W 180gr Full Metal Jacket
    200 Rounds – Blazer Brass 180gr 40 S&W Full Metal Jacket
    100 Rounds – Remington UMC 180gr 40 S&W Full Metal Jacket
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1360[/ATTACH]

I don’t buy alot of ammo so this is significant for me.

PhilTheBiker

This week I purchased materials to help me build a larger chicken coop.

Andrew

@philthebiker 13246 wrote:

This week I purchased materials to help me build a larger chicken coop.

What did you get?

boisdarc

every week, (or every walmart trip) I try to get a case of bottled water and at least one dehydrated meal bag. This week, I also got a few things for my first aid kit.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 13252 wrote:

What did you get?

Lumber. $250 of lumber, plywood, screws, and chicken wire. Sorry for taking so long to respond I must of missed your post.

This week the only thing I did for prepping was work on my garden and setup some wild rabbit snares. Chickens still are not laying any eggs and I’m waiting to see if the rabbit has babies around July 1.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Embarrassingly to be honest I haven’t purchased any preparedness item since I’ve been working away from home. I haven’t even had the time to go to Wal-Mart to get the appropiate things needed for a decent lunch each day at work. But for me this is part of my strategy, for example right now I’m way beyond due for a new pair of work boots but the longer make due with what I got to work with the more money I got to spend on the things that I place at a higher importance for worst case scenario.

For me it’s not so much how much money I make but how much time I have available to spend money.

Andrew

@philthebiker 14025 wrote:

Lumber. $250 of lumber, plywood, screws, and chicken wire. Sorry for taking so long to respond I must of missed your post.

This week the only thing I did for prepping was work on my garden and setup some wild rabbit snares. Chickens still are not laying any eggs and I’m waiting to see if the rabbit has babies around July 1.

I am envious. I would love to have time to work around the house (chicken pen) or set and check snares. Maybe at the next job I will.

PhilTheBiker

I’m actually looking at setting up a rental business for people just like you. I’ve figured out a way to build a coop for under $100 and I plan on renting out chickens, the coop I build, all the food you need from May till November, water dish, food dish. All you have to do is eat the eggs and feed the chickens 🙂 I’ll post up some photos at some point of what I’ve done.

firemedic4

Started a BOFAK. (bug out first aid kit) Needless to say, me being a FF/EMT, it got bigger than it should be for a bug out. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.

Andrew

@firemedic4 14110 wrote:

Started a BOFAK. (bug out first aid kit) Needless to say, me being a FF/EMT, it got bigger than it should be for a bug out. Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.

You need to start a BOFAK thread. That is cool and unique. I am very interested in what you have in there especially since you are and EMT. Your expertise about what to include and why would be invaluable.

DCortez

Getting ready to put in another Mountain House order, there’s a savings up to 32% on some 10# cans.

A little here, a little there adds up.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

DCortez, where are you getting the 32% savings?

@firemedic4 14110 wrote:

@andrew.anderson 14112 wrote:

You need to start a BOFAK thread. That is cool and unique. I am very interested in what you have in there especially since you are and EMT. Your expertise about what to include and why would be invaluable.

I also would like to know what you got in there especially with your professional experience as Andrew has pointed out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.