What Have You Bought To Prepare This Week?

Home Forums Planning & Preparation What Have You Bought To Prepare This Week?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

Ok, since my last post, I canned 6 jars of spaghetti sauce. No where near the 50 I was hoping for when I planted my garden. Maybe next year! I still have a lot of tomatoes that are about to turn green, but I don’t know if I have enough to make 44 more jars plus salsa. I had to buy basil, tomatoe paste, and sweet pepper (local farm) was al I needed to buy that I didn’t grow myself.

I hope to make some sweet relish tomorrow with my cucumbers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1589[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

Ok, so today we canned 9 jars of sweet relish. 90% of the stuff came from my garden. I did have to pick up a green and red pepper, and two onions, red cider vinegar, kosher salt, mustard seed, celery seed. I’m still very happy that I was able to but the other vegetables from local farmers. Someday I hope to get all of my vegetables to be ready closer to canning time!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1591[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

More spaghetti sauce 🙂 had 25-30 pounds of tomatoes. I had to purchase tomato paste and some banana peppers along with a few spices. I would say 90+% came from my garden. I want to do salsa and hope to do so soon 🙂
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1599[/ATTACH]

PhilTheBiker

Home made salsa. 90% from my garden, 5% from local farms, 5% from the store (2 small cans of tomato paste, little vinager, cup of sugar, spices).

6.5 gallons and probably cost me $8-$12 total.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1600[/ATTACH]

boisdarc

man, you are a canning beast. looks good.

boisdarc

20 pounds of beans and 23 pounds of spaghetti noodles. Having a problem with the noodles, doesn’t look like the bag is shrinking to the noodles. I don’t know if there was too much o2 in the bags or those o2 absorbers are dead or what-anybody else seen this?

Andrew

@philthebiker 14897 wrote:

Home made salsa. 90% from my garden, 5% from local farms, 5% from the store (2 small cans of tomato paste, little vinager, cup of sugar, spices).

6.5 gallons and probably cost me $8-$12 total.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1600[/ATTACH]

That is awesome. It looks like alot of work though. How much do canning jars cost now?

PhilTheBiker

a package of 12 pint jars that come with rings and lids costs about $8. After that you only need to buy the lids and you can reuse the jars and rings.

Andrew

That is cheap. I thought they cost more.

PhilTheBiker

They are a bit cheaper at places like ACE Hardware, Walmart, KMart, True Value.. But if you are an amazon prime, pay $1 more and they’ll ship them to your house.

You initially buy this:
    Amazon.com: Ball® Regular Mouth Pint Jars with Lids and Bands- Set of 12 (by Jarden Home Brands): Kitchen & Dining

Then next time you just buy this:
    Ball® Regular Mouth 12 Lids (by Jarden Home Brands): Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Just make sure you decide early on if you are going to go wide mouth jars or regular mouth jars. Wide mouth ones are good for things like apples or pears, cucumber spears, larger stuff. regular is good for sauces, relish and I imagine meats that are chopped up. Best to buy all of the same type.

PhilTheBiker

Just canned 27 pints of deer meat. Tossed another 15-20 pounds of deer into the freezer. Picking up 200 pounds of pig this week as well.

Andrew

This arrived today. Not a frequent purchase for me but I am happy I got another .50 ammo can with it. That an I am really short on most calibers of ammo right now.

PhilTheBiker

Awesome! I’ve seen ammo cans at Walmart of 1200 9mm@$495 and other ammo types (not sure of qty or price). I’m pretty sure I can buy it cheaper online. Have fun!

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Been pinching pennies to focus more on expensive preps/tools recently bought a $700 5×8 utility trailer

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Andrew

I had no 223 or 5.56 so this was a necessary purchase.

Sent from my phone using an app

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.