What Have You Bought To Prepare This Week?

Home Forums Planning & Preparation What Have You Bought To Prepare This Week?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

@boisdarc 20599 wrote:

25 pounds of salt, 4 pounds of sugar, and found I need to order more mylar and o2 absorbers.

Do you have a planned use for the salt?

alwayscross

@philthebiker 20650 wrote:

Do you have a planned use for the salt?

Actually just bought some more salt for my BOB. Good for cleaning wounds, preserving food, making food taste better, cleaning, can be used to treat bug bites and stings, with all the exercise and sweating your salt levels will be low so it will help with general health, keeping things ice free (e.g vehicles and equipment), washing in general. Those are the ones I know, anything else is a good bonus.

boisdarc

Honestly no plans whatsoever, it was just a hole in the armor that needed a patch. I would like to have 100 pounds saved. A friend instructed me to NOT use o2 absorbers when storing salt or sugar, he said it turns into a solid rock. I assume it was a live and learn thing. The biggest hole in the armor is lack of canning, I see how much you do, and most of my friends do too. We just haven’t pulled the trigger on starting it. I’ve watched the youtube videos, just can’t seem to get it together.

PhilTheBiker

Picked up some reloading equipment. I can now reload 30-06, 300 Win Mag, and more. I have a press all sorts of dies. When I start reloading i’ll take pictures.

Andrew

That is awesome. I would love to get into reloading. What’s my other commitments I’m just not willing to take the time away from my wife and kids.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 20677 wrote:

That is awesome. I would love to get into reloading. What’s my other commitments I’m just not willing to take the time away from my wife and kids.

I reloaded about 100 rounds of 9mm when I was at a friends house in Arizona. He showed me how to reload and in under an hour we had 100 rounds ready to go.

Andrew

@philthebiker 20678 wrote:

I reloaded about 100 rounds of 9mm when I was at a friends house in Arizona. He showed me how to reload and in under an hour we had 100 rounds ready to go.

Do you have an idea what the cost per round ended up being?

ALso, do you think you and a novice reloader could reload 100 rnds in 1 hr?

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 20679 wrote:

Do you have an idea what the cost per round ended up being?

ALso, do you think you and a novice reloader could reload 100 rnds in 1 hr?

With the loader I used I thing I could reload between 60 and 100 pistol rounds in an hour.

I think rifle rounds will take a LOT longer. From what I have seen I think it would take me about 20 minutes a day for each step of a 30-06 round and I could complete the 20 rounds over a three day period.

Removing all the primers then dumping the brass in the cleaner. After 5 hours or so then prime each of the rounds. Then size each round (just a few minutes) and then using the lathe to shorten the case if it’s too long (that takes some time and I don’t have a lethe or whatever it’s called).

once de primed, cleaned, and sized you can now add your new primers, powder and bullet. Maybe another minute or so per bullet. So I think the labor on 20 rounds of rifle would probably be about an hour or so.

I’ll let you know what I discover as I start reloading.

AluminumTray

I bought 2 of these from Wal*Mart the day before yesterday: Rayovac Outdoor Virtually Indestructible LED 2D Flashlight
    After slowly feeling my way to the kitchen from my bedroom when the power went out at night a couple weeks ago.

Also bought 30 gallons of Sparkletts distilled water (in 1 gallon jugs) at Smart & Final because I go through water like water. I only drink distilled water, I average 2 gallons in 3 days.

PhilTheBiker

@aluminumtray 20706 wrote:

I bought 2 of these from Wal*Mart the day before yesterday: Rayovac Outdoor Virtually Indestructible LED 2D Flashlight
    After slowly feeling my way to the kitchen from my bedroom when the power went out at night a couple weeks ago.

Also bought 30 gallons of Sparkletts distilled water (in 1 gallon jugs) at Smart & Final because I go through water like water. I only drink distilled water, I average 2 gallons in 3 days.

I saw something where people took filtered water and canned it. I think a simple water bath should be fine, probably 20 minutes in a water bath for whatever size container you use. If you have extra mason jars you could also think about this. I do not store enough water here at my house and have not hooked up 220 from my generator to my water pump yet.

Andrew

@aluminumtray 20706 wrote:

Have you tried out the flashlight yet? Is it virtually indestructible?

AluminumTray

Yes I have and I’m sure the flashlight would get scratched up if I dropped a 25 pound cinderblock on it but I’m not that curious to see if it actually would or not.

Andrew

If you change your mind let us know if it is the flashlight or it is the cinderblock that wins.

AluminumTray

@andrew.anderson 20715 wrote:

If you change your mind let us know if it is the flashlight or it is the cinderblock that wins.

Consumer Reports might have done similar tests.

Annabelle
    Participant

I got a towing rope for my car. I am really new here but it’s so exciting reading through the different posts. I hope to improve my survival skills.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.