what kind of side arm are you sporting?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry what kind of side arm are you sporting?

This topic contains 104 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  otis302 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • Author

otis302

My primary weapon is a saiga 223 with a utc red dot but for close quaghters I have a Glock 23 .40 cal I use clips out of a Glock 22 it has 3 more rounds I have trineum ameriglo night sights extended mag release
    stainless steel recoil assembly with a 18 pound spring.I have shot beside 9 mm and there is no competition
    we were shooting at hard spring back targets at 50ft the 9 did not knock them down where as the .40 did.It is my primary duty weapon.

Alonso1

I carry a Glock 17 with 2 extra magazines, unless I’m in the shower I’m packing this 24/7. I changed the trigger connector to an aftermarket 3.5 lbs pull. Unknown night sights and other than that, it’s all stock.

DCortez

I carry a full size (5″ barrel) Kimber, .45acp. I may, or may not, have two extra magazines.

There are times I’ll carry a small S&W 642 (1 7/8″ barrel) in an Uncle Mike pocket holster. It’s a 5 shot, .38 spl +p, internal hammer, revolver.

It’s like driving around town. A small truck is okay, but driving around in a Super Duty makes me feel better.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I don’t EDC a pistol but I do want a Glock 17 or maybe full sized version of a higher caliber Glock. I previously owned a Ruger P95 but was wishing I would’ve spent a $100 more and got a Glock after shooting one at the range.

azurevirus

Sold 4 guns last month and I just took 3 guns down to the new gun shop to sell on consignment….12 ga trench gun, 22 bolt action Marlin with scope and the Ithica 22 lever action single shot..still have plenty here for close up ..an XD subcompact 40 and a Springfeild 1911 45 caliber..Im trying to downsize my inventory of guns to one semi auto pistol, a Mossberg 500 w/pistol grip and a good AK47..something I could carry with me on my person if case of I did have to BO..the thought of leaving guns/ammo behind just doesnt work for me..but in two months from now I will have another collection started..as guns are my weakness..I like them

azurevirus

If you have a business here in TN ..you can open carry a sidearm from what I was told by one of the local pawnshop owners..I sometimes still shoot here on the 8 acre campground but it gets more difficult every yr as more and more homes go up in this area..not just that I dont want ppl complaining about noise..alot of the new homes are well within the effective range of even a 22 rifle..hunting season seems to last the whole winter here also..which makes me a little nervous when I hear a rifle/shotgun go off in the distance.

BugOutReview

.45 Springfield XDm for my concealed

Darkknight

Question for you all, what is one handgun would you recommend for both self-defense and hunting ?

Alonso1

@darkknight 1922 wrote:

Question for you all, what is one handgun would you recommend for both self-defense and hunting ?

I guess it depends on what you are hunting. Years ago I read an article and someone asked what handgun should they take to Alaska in case they ran into a bear. The person said they had the choice of a 9mm, 40 S&W, or a 45 ACP.

The author replied that regardless of whatever handgun they chose; they should first pour bacon grease on the handgun and throw it as far as they could and run the other way if they were attacked by a bear.

vbreferee

If I had to pick one handgun for self-defense and hunting it would be a .357 Magnum, with a 4″ barrel. You can shoot three different loads .38 special, .38 special +P, and .357 magnum. You could hunt smaller game, and probably deer if you were close enough, and self defense is not a problem. This used to be the duty arm of many police forces and the FBI. A revolver is a little simpler than semi-auto, just pull the trigger. Easier to clean. Easy to carry. Easy to get ammo. Plenty of good ones available at reasonable prices.

Darkknight

@alonso1 1924 wrote:

I guess it depends on what you are hunting.

The author replied that regardless of whatever handgun they chose; they should first pour bacon grease on the handgun and throw it as far as they could and run the other way if they were attacked by a bear.

A handgun for hunting or atleast taking down small games, A friend told me to go for 357Mag or 10MM. Forget the grease and run when big bear attacks, but its a sound advice, Thanks for Sharing.

DCortez

For dual purpose, I’d have to go with a .357 mag or .44 mag. 6″ barrel would be best, 4″ would be the minimum on .357.

Gigabelly

Glock 27 Gen4 unless in Church or the shower. Not happy about not carrying in Church, but its the law and we do have a CCW security team I am hoping to join this summer. I also carry two mags from my bedside Glock 22, also in .40, that fits the Glock 27 and affoarding more rounds for a defensive situation. Plus it extends the handle at the same time. I have never modified my Glock except for the mag extension on the magazine. I went to the Glock armorer program, so I know how, but it works fine for me as it is. Don’t know if it is worth the cost for me, but to each his own.

Darkknight

@dcortez 2008 wrote:

For dual purpose, I’d have to go with a .357 mag or .44 mag. 6″ barrel would be best, 4″ would be the minimum on .357.

Would a 3in barrel be enough or it has to be 4in or longer for .357 mag ?

DCortez

@darkknight 2095 wrote:

Would a 3in barrel be enough or it has to be 4in or longer for .357 mag ?

I’m not a fan of small barrels on magnums. From recoil, palm pain, to accuracy, it’s a handful.

I do have friends that love short barrels and snubs. Best bet is to shoot one before buying.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.