what kind of side arm are you sporting?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry what kind of side arm are you sporting?

This topic contains 104 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  otis302 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author

vbreferee

DCortez – Sound advice – A 357 snubby (short barrel) is really not much fun to shoot. The recoil is uncomfortable. This will lead to many other problems. If you are not comfortable shooting the gun you will flinch ergo, poor accuracy, and bad habits. If you are not comfortable you will not practice ergo less proficiency. Find a gun that is comfortable, and you enjoy shooting. Go to a range where they have several models you can rent. Try them and see what works best for you.

00_Jackie

I’ve tried several, but always come back to my S&W .38 with a 2 1/2″ barrel. it’s a little weighty for a purse, but i feel most comfortable with it, even tho i cant hit the broadside of a barn at any
    distance with it. I Tried a beretta .40 cal, but too big. Then
    tried a Taurus Judge Public Defender .45/410 snub nose. It had such a short grip and hard recoil that it was real difficult to hang onto. I’m most comfortable with a revolver b/c I have shot them the
    most. Any suggestions?

vbreferee

Jackie: Have you tried a Ruger GP100? It is a double action revolver with a 4″ or 6″ barrell calibered in 357 magnum. A little weighty for a purse but they have a nice balanced feel with comfortable grips. Shooting a 38+P load will reduce recoil, and still get the job done. Reasonably priced and rugged.

PhilTheBiker

In the Peoples Republic of Maryland one may not get a carry permit due to the states ‘Shall Issue’ status. Thus, everyone other than criminals and police are unarmed. What would I be carrying if my permit application was approved, i’d probably seek out a compact .40 or .45. Maybe a Sig.

Seanboy69

I carry a 9X18 makrov. Its lighter than my 1911.

RiverRat57

I carry a Remington 1911R1 in a Concealment Solutions Black Mamba C/E, and a Bond Arms Snake Slayer4(SOB)for the smaller critters. .45 all the way…….

PhilTheBiker

The entire Peoples Republic of Maryland does not sport a sidearm. Including myself, but if I did I would be sporting a Glock 17 with Hornady Home defense rounds in a hicap mag.

Alonso1

@philthebiker 3057 wrote:

The entire Peoples Republic of Maryland does not sport a sidearm. Including myself, but if I did I would be sporting a Glock 17 with Hornady Home defense rounds in a hicap mag.

Phil

We have plenty of room in Texas for ya 🙂

Hubbylicious

9mm Hi-Point…next will be 45LC/410 Judge

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@philthebiker 3057 wrote:

I was thinking of getting Glock 17 or 19 as my next purchase but I’m starting to lean toward the Ruger SR9.

Alonso is right we do have plenty of room down here in Texas for you and anybody else that’s like minded.

PhilTheBiker

@teknabuzz 3064 wrote:

I was thinking of getting Glock 17 or 19 as my next purchase but I’m starting to lean toward the Ruger SR9.

Alonso is right we do have plenty of room down here in Texas for you and anybody else that’s like minded.

17 is probably too big, honestly I’d probably purchase something smaller if Maryland changed it’s laws.

RiverRat57

“Hubbylicious”
    “9mm Hi-Point…next will be 45LC/410 Judge”

I have a .45acp High Point, a little bulky for CCW, I carry a 1911 & a Bond Arms Snake Slayer4.

apocomom

I heard/read somewhere you should have a shotgun, a rifle, a handgun and something else. 2 questions:
    1) Which handgun would you recommend for accuracy, and abundance of ammunition lying around after the zombies attack?
    2) What 1 other firearm would you recommend?

Our group will consist of 9 adults/5 kids under 6; 1 ex military and 2 hunters and a nurse in the group.

Alonso1

@apocomom 3702 wrote:

I heard/read somewhere you should have a shotgun, a rifle, a handgun and something else. 2 questions:
    1) Which handgun would you recommend for accuracy, and abundance of ammunition lying around after the zombies attack?

Our group will consist of 9 adults/5 kids under 6; 1 ex military and 2 hunters and a nurse in the group.

If this was my group I would check with everyone and see what handgun they already have. I would get as many different types of modern pistols, in common calibers like 9mm, 40S&W, and 45APC. Take them to the range and spend the day shooting at the very “least” 500 rounds through each gun. If a gun had more than two stoppages I would not even consider it as a SHTF gun.

Do a little research and check and see if a handgun you may be considering is ammo sensitive, meaning, the gun only feeds reliably with a certain brand of ammo or design. And if this was the case, I would not use that gun either.

Look and see if replacement parts are readily available and how quick and easy the guns is to break down and clean. If a gun needed a tool like an allen wrench or screwdriver to field strip, I would not consider it.

As far as rifles, here in America the AR-15 and AK-47’s are everywhere. I would go with either one and give the AR a slight edge because it’s lighter and so is the ammo. But don’t forget about some really great .30 calibers out there like the M1A, HK clones. FN FAL, M1 Garand, etc…these are battle rifles which pack a serious punch but are quite heavy.

Someone else will have to chime in about shotguns. I simply don’t like them so I can’t give you an knowledgeable or unbiased answer.

Good luck.

DCortez

@apocomom 3702 wrote:

Are you in the DFW area? We have a social gun group that meets (just met) on the last Sunday of every month. They’d be more than happy to let you shoot a variety of guns.

I always tell people, guns are like boots. You have to get what fits you. Plus, what Alonso1 said.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.