what kind of side arm are you sporting?

Home Forums Firearms & Weaponry what kind of side arm are you sporting?

This topic contains 104 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  otis302 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • Author

tcindie

I’ve got a 9mm hipoint. Overall I think it’s fairly decent. It’s a big bulky fugly gun, but it was inexpensive, made in the US! Has a lifetime warranty, and it throws rounds down range accurately for me.

The only issue I have with it is that it misfeeds rounds a little more often than I’d prefer (of course I’d prefer never). Not sure what the next will be, but I think I’m going to keep things to the same calibers as much as possible, which will simplify what I need to keep stocked. I’ve been thinking about picking up a .380 keltec or something like it since I’m planning to get my conceal carry permit, something a more managable size than the hipoint seems like a good idea.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

For compacts I wish they had the same amount of options in 9mm as they do in .380 ACP. When it comes time for me to start looking into compacts I want to go with a 9mm simply because of the increased stopping power versus the .380 but I realize that the selection of compacts is much better (more choices) for a .380 ACP.

PhilTheBiker

What ever you go with, don’t just buy FMJ. Get some HP rounds. If you can’t afford 1,000 rounds of HP then buy 500 rounds and when you load go every other round of FMJ / HP. My home protection handgun only has hornady hollow point. The stuff makes stuff explode when it hits, unlike FMJ.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]246[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I got some hornady critical defense for my 9mm.

geotrain

depends on which day, but most days I sport Glock22 .40 cal

Armadillofz1

An old police glock 22 with hydroshocks in the nightstand. No EDC in Marylandistan comrade.

mdsuave13

@darkknight 1922 wrote:

Question for you all, what is one handgun would you recommend for both self-defense and hunting ?

a .357 magnum or bigger with a 8″ bbl and scope…

mdsuave13

fmj is good if you are shooting thru things at targets… cars, walls ect… hp is for hitting living things directly..
    i have two mags of each ready for my sig 40..

if it were zombies id have my sig .22lr russian tokarev tt33… people 40 or 357/38

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254[/ATTACH]

My XD 9mm Tactical and I had to throw in the glimpse of the NRA digital camo duffle bag that’s now used as my range bag for the picture. Got 2 16rd mags and 3 15rd mags for self sustainability of course. 😎

David White

I am sporting a Glock 17 with two 19 round mags and an additional 33 round mag (just so I dont have to reload as often!). Great gun. Ive been around a long time and had the chance to shoot a lot of guns in different calibers. I am completely satisfied with my current load out. Hydra Shoks 124 grain and some other high out put stuff that I will keep secret!

David White

@alonso1 3708 wrote:

Take them to the range and spend the day shooting at the very “least” 500 rounds through each gun. If a gun had more than two stoppages I would not even consider it as a SHTF gun.@alonso1 3708 wrote:

Are you Serious?! 500 rounds each.. That is a crock and you want to do this with ALL the major calibers? Good luck using your hands the next day. I dont know of many people who are willing to put 500 rounds at a time through their OWN gun, let alone some rental gun.

TWO stoppages in 500 rounds and it would not be a consideration? Hummm.. You can end up with all kinds of malfunctions based on caliber and ammo selection so i would consider that part to be a little harsh to be honest.ANY gun can malfunction, even if its one you had for years. There are many reasons why that could happen as well, Mags, feed ramp, ammo etc.

@alonso1 3708 wrote:

Do a little research and check and see if a handgun you may be considering is ammo sensitive, meaning, the gun only feeds reliably with a certain brand of ammo or design. And if this was the case, I would not use that gun either.@alonso1 3708 wrote:

If the gun you want only feeds “certain ammo”, forget it. You are then bound by that ammo and I dont think it will be prudent in an Apoc. Your gun of choice should “feed, fire and eject” everything you shove down its throat! Modern firearms are designed to do just that. Pick a cliber, try it out and move on. You dont need 500 rounds though it to find out if its a fit for you. The weapon should fell like a natural extension of your body. You should not need to adapt to the weapon. Go to a shop and handle a few, feel them out and then pick a couple and go shoot them!

Alonso1

@David White 4555 wrote:

@alonso1 3708 wrote:

Take them to the range and spend the day shooting at the very “least” 500 rounds through each gun. If a gun had more than two stoppages I would not even consider it as a SHTF gun.@alonso1 3708 wrote:

Are you Serious?! 500 rounds each.. That is a crock and you want to do this with ALL the major calibers? Good luck using your hands the next day. I dont know of many people who are willing to put 500 rounds at a time through their OWN gun, let alone some rental gun.

TWO stoppages in 500 rounds and it would not be a consideration? Hummm.. You can end up with all kinds of malfunctions based on caliber and ammo selection so i would consider that part to be a little harsh to be honest.ANY gun can malfunction, even if its one you had for years. There are many reasons why that could happen as well, Mags, feed ramp, ammo etc.

@alonso1 3708 wrote:

Do a little research and check and see if a handgun you may be considering is ammo sensitive, meaning, the gun only feeds reliably with a certain brand of ammo or design. And if this was the case, I would not use that gun either.@alonso1 3708 wrote:

If the gun you want only feeds “certain ammo”, forget it. You are then bound by that ammo and I dont think it will be prudent in an Apoc. Your gun of choice should “feed, fire and eject” everything you shove down its throat! Modern firearms are designed to do just that. Pick a cliber, try it out and move on. You dont need 500 rounds though it to find out if its a fit for you. The weapon should fell like a natural extension of your body. You should not need to adapt to the weapon. Go to a shop and handle a few, feel them out and then pick a couple and go shoot them!

Yeah 500 rounds seems a little excessive but you would be surprised just how durable people are and how some major brand guns are not. I see you are in Vermont, too bad you are so far away because I would be happy to comp you for a couple of classes that my company offers, BattleRoadUSA.com. In the last two months we have had 3 ladies who’s age ranged from the early 60’s to the 70’s.

They took two days of classes and each class has a minimum of 500 rounds. They shot at least 1000 rounds and did not complain, nor has anyone else who’s taken our classes. I’m sure you could fire 500 rounds and be just fine.

I won’t change my position on the stoppages because I know there are guns out there that cost around $500 and will easily fire thousands of rounds without stopping and they will do it right out of the box. Why settle for less?

The way I’m reading your reply about to my comment about ammo sensitive guns; we are in agreement.

I carry a 13 + 1 springfield .45 and love the size and functionality

vbreferee

I carry a Sig P228 9mm with a Smith & Wesson 642 snubby as a back up.

David White

Thanks for the offer on some classes but I’m quite set in that regard. I am an old man and I’ve been doing the “gun thing” for over 27 years so I have been around the block a few times. I am a firearms consultant to law enforcement and I teach gun safety and gun classes myself. I have been involved in several defensive situations in which I was justified in pulling the trigger. I have and will continue to pack my nines with hot loads and I am confident they will perform to all my expectations. I have watched from the beginning all the new “wonder weapons” and calibers develope and I am not impressed. The worst thing to happen to handguns was the FBI ballistic test that spawned the current loadings. That standard will cost more lives than it will save.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.