What you consider to be the most important item for survival equipment

Home Forums Gear & Equipment What you consider to be the most important item for survival equipment

This topic contains 42 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Carl Padilla 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

With the exception of firearms or knives as I think everybody would agree if they could only have one thing they’d pick one of the two. But what would consider the most vital item out of your your survival gear?

ZombieMage

some fishing gear cause i fear my abilities to effectively hunt in a survival situation i could always catch some perch and catfish

DCortez

Water purification.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Good suggestions, I don’t typically hunt mainly because of the expenses but do a lot of fishing which probably cost me more than hunting would when you figure in the amount of beer I drink while fishing. But I still feel like even being the recreational fishermen that I am I’d be able to put more food on the table hunting in a PSHTF world.

DCortez, you got any suggestions on brands of water purification systems?

DCortez

I would use water purification straws, vs tablets. I don’t have a brand in mind.

Be sure to check out any brand you are considering.

Aquastraw Water Purification Aqua Straw – Survival

Note: This product has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer being shipped due to European Union changes in the way Iodine may be used in products.

BERKEY water filters are nice and not too expensive BUT they work very well and I agree water is what we need the quickest (way before food)

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

@Tom Firmingham 653 wrote:

BERKEY water filters are nice and not too expensive BUT they work very well and I agree water is what we need the quickest (way before food)

Is the guy thats always spamming on twitter the Berkey water filters just a reseller? Because he alone has turned me off on that brand.

tetutato

Water filter like others have stated and after that comes the cup. 🙂

azurevirus

A waterfilter is what I lack..living on KY Lake water is very close to be had but its nasty..I had figured on a homemade filter using stuff I have..straining the water a few times thru garment material and charcoal the bringing it to a roiling boil for 5 or so minutes should make it safe enough to drink from various sources Ive read..but I think a water filter would be an excellent addition to a bug out bag..I looked at some but they were quite expensive and probably will be the last thing I buy

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I currently don’t have a water filtering device either. As great of asset it would be I’ve yet to move it up on my list of priorities.

DCortez

Checking out “the scam” and “the product”, I ran across this. I’m wondering how it tastes.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/wise-food-storage-wise-long-term-food-storage-c-74_76/240-serving-wise-food-storage-breakfast-and-entree-p-230

survivaldiva

I agree with the posts here. A good water purifier is one of the most important items to have for preparedness. A Berkey or a Katadyn are two of the best on the market. The larger sizes cost around $300.They can filter most water, even pond water. They require extra filters that are available sepperatly. But for nuclear fallout or to treat water for haevy metals, water must be treated differently. I’ll hunt for the info and post it tomorrow.

A human can survive for up to three weeks without food, but only three days without water.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Can’t survive a Texas summer outside for 3 days without water that’s for sure. Honestly I really think I could buy food for that my family could survive and maintain off of for a month for less than $435. When you do the math that equates to $14.50 USD a day to feed a family of four.

Parlock

A comfortable but large bag. You may be able to scavenge, but if you have nothing to carry your supplies in then you will really be screwed. You’d also need a handy place to keep weaponry, first aid etc. Carrying them all separately and being able to move quickly and quietly is pretty much impossible.

Texas Twitch

I’m torn between some sort of water purification and a form of fire-starting, whether it be a steel, magnesium, or a good old Bic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.