What you consider to be the most important item for survival equipment

Home Forums Gear & Equipment What you consider to be the most important item for survival equipment

This topic contains 42 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Carl Padilla 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

shottist

the past few weekends have been spent doing the wrenching that I promised my van, if it would just get me thru the winter. It will soon be too hot to do jack, so it’s gotta get done.

shottist

Wow. $3.50 a day per person for food? I can do it on $1 a day, but if you want animal protein that cheap, you have to snare deer. 🙂 Actually, for one person, you can easily shoot enough deer, legally, especially if you have a friend who owns land with lots of deer, or if you’ll hunt more than one state. Only about half of an animal’s live weight is usable meat. 100 lbs is a pretty big deer in most of the US. For a year, if 1/4 of your calories are to come from jerky, you need 180 or so lbs of fresh venison., so, 3-4 deer per person. Figure on having lots of legumes (soybeans, peanuts, lintles) along with wheat, rice, corn and oats. Mostly bought directly from the farmer, at harvest season, the savings is so large that it pays for quite a bit of gas to go get it, or for partial-load trucking (palleted) shipping.

otis302

water source ie purification fire starter knife and a tarp here in Sc there is all kind of natural food walking around in the woods

shottist

yep, but they are called “cattle, horses. sheep, hogs, dogs and cats”, and until shtf, it’s a felony theft to shoot or trap one. 🙂

jbragg1025

Also look at the Sawyer mini and sawyer squeeze water filters. They are being sold at Walmart.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

PhilTheBiker

I’ve been looking at this on Amazon for my trip to Africa
    Amazon.com : Sawyer Products SP128 Mini Water Filtration System : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors

If you click on the link look on the left hand side there is a video. I was pretty impressed.

Andrew

@philthebiker 18958 wrote:

I’ve been looking at this on Amazon for my trip to Africa
    Amazon.com : Sawyer Products SP128 Mini Water Filtration System : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors

If you click on the link look on the left hand side there is a video. I was pretty impressed.

Ensure you plan to have access to bottled water for the entire trip. Bringing a filter is good but never having to use it is better.

Also, have you created a thread to discuss your trip and for you to share stuff during and after?

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 18962 wrote:

Ensure you plan to have access to bottled water for the entire trip. Bringing a filter is good but never having to use it is better.

Also, have you created a thread to discuss your trip and for you to share stuff during and after?

I’ll have a follow up. But in this thread I still think water is the most important prep.

I plan on using the filter with the bottled water and only drinking bottled water that I’ve personally filtered. I like how this system can directly attach to a bottle, or how you can file up the reservoir and then I can filter that into my camelbak.

otis302

Far as a item I think a fire starter you can boil water cook keep warm and see in the dark

alwayscross

Stainless steel mess tins, can be use to cook food or boil water. Can collect water in the rain if desperate, also if you find a peice of flint you can scrap it on the side of the mess tins and use it as a flint and steel.

PhilTheBiker

@otis302 18967 wrote:

Far as a item I think a fire starter you can boil water cook keep warm and see in the dark

I won’t have access to start a fire. I don’t think anyway.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 18962 wrote:

have you created a thread to discuss your trip and for you to share stuff during and after?

After looking it up, yes! I did create a thread!
    http://www.zombielyptic.com/planning-preparation/2444-africa-mission.html

Carl Padilla
    Participant

Knives are probably for me the most important survival equipment. It may be a deadly weapon but on the other hand, it’s most versatile tool for outdoor survival.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.