Who carries a blade for self defense and honestly practices using/deploying it?

Home Forums Gear & Equipment Who carries a blade for self defense and honestly practices using/deploying it?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  JulioTheSavage 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

JulioTheSavage

I carry a knife IWB at all times. I prefer a folder in my environment since its light and easier for me to conceal. I even carry it when I go for runs. I do have some fixed blades but they are for other purposes. I probably have thousands of reps deploying and using my knife. I try to go full speed and always make sure I have the same grip. Get comfortable,really get to know your knife. I feel pretty confident if I had to use it in a pinch I could. But in real life you never know. I pulled my gun before but never had to pull my knife. Hopefully I will never need it. We know the reality of knives and it ain’t like in the movies. Expect to get cut. A friend of mine was stabbed around the corner from me when he got into a confrontation with a man. He was stabbed three times and one punctured his lung but he was lucky and survived. I believe the fact that it was a relatively short blade and the fact that he beat the guy up in the process is why he didn’t get hurt too bad. But yeah avoid when you can. Here’s the one I carry.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1316[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1317[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1318[/ATTACH]

Andrew

I carry one in civilian clothes and two in work clothes. I do not practice deploying them that often but I do have the occasion to use them as tools a few times a day so I guess that is practice.

Boker Plus Automat Kalashnikov 101
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1319[/ATTACH]

Here is the knife I have been carrying for the pat few months. It is not exactly what I want but until I find something else it is what I am carrying it. I end up switching carry knives every few years. I think this is the fourth one since 2002.

JulioTheSavage

Same here I switch up every so many years. I settled on my current one because it felt nice and lite yet feels sturdy and strong in the hand. just feels right.
    Here’s a pic of my old one. It was a little bulky plus I didnt trust the lockout. But it wasn’t very expensive.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1320[/ATTACH]

Alonso1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1321[/ATTACH]

I like knives about as much as I like guns. My two everyday carry knives are the Cold Steel AK-47 in my left pocket and a Benchmade auto in my right pocket. I’m right handed so the Benchmade is a utility knife, autos sure do come in handy. The Cold Steel is a really neat blade. If you look on the top of the blade you will see a thumb plate. This thumb plate can be used to flick the blade open or, with some practice, when you lift the knife out of your pocket you can allow the thumb plate to catch the inside of your pocket and as you continue lift the knife out, the pocket material which has caught on the thumb plate will open the blade for you. This only requires one hand and it’s much faster than a switchblade.

I carry the Cold Steel AK-47 on my left side so if I have to hold my pistol in it’s holster (weapon retention) I can use my left had to get my Cold Steel and cut the adversary.

If you look at my pocket you will see how its torn. The thumb plate if hard on the material and after while my pockets wear out.

The other two knives are also Cold Steel. The largest one is the Rajha II. It’s a semi Kurki style blade and it also has a thumb plate. I sometimes carry this knife instead of the AK. I favor the larger blade because I figure it I have to use deadly force my primary weapon will be a firearm so if I’m using a blade for some reason, I’m really having a bad day and the threat needs to stop very fast.

The other knife with the Bowie shaped blade is a Cold Steel Voyager (Large). The blade is 5.5 inches which makes it legal for carry in Texas. It does not have a thumb plate so its a little slower to open but I like it. I also sniped it on Ebay with 4 seconds left. $36 shipped.

I could go on and on about knives so I better stop now.

JulioTheSavage

My buddy carries a Cold Steel blade too. It’s the Spartan. It’s pretty huge but he likes it.

Andrew

Alonso1, The tap measure in the picture was a good idea. I am in a hotel so couldn’t really do that but i am going to keep that in mind for future photos.

JulioTheSavage

I forgot to add that my knife is a Blackhawk BE-WHARNED. The blade 3.4″. I gave it the custom OD paint job,lol. But the blade comes with a nice polish.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

I have a bunch of pocket knives laying around the house most of them are cheapo gas station knives. My EDC knife is the Gerber Armor, been carrying it awhile now and I really like it. I use it at work sometimes to pry stuff even for a really low torque flat head screw driver. The blade has some dings in it now but overall it’s held up really well. Most common thing for me to break on a pocket knife is the clip for the pocket.

Overkill244

I carry an OKC Little Bird ranger knife on my neck. It has a 1.8 inch blade. They won’t see it coming.

Overkill244

I also posted the wrong picture.

alwayscross

I practise about 10-20 minutes a day, maybe more of the weekends. Its a fun thing to do and will no doubt save your life someday, helps develop your hand so its get use to the feel of the blade.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.