Wilderness Survival Skills

Home Forums Survival Skills Wilderness Survival Skills

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  00_Jackie 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

00_Jackie

This link has some great info on survival, including first aid, fire starting, shelter, etc.

http://lifehacker.com/5881604/be-a-grown-up-boy-scout-the-wilderness-survival-skills-everyone-should-know

PhilTheBiker

I think at some point I need to take all of these free resources, print out the stuff that is most important to me and bind them in a book. Something tells me when the Zombies invade the internet might go down.

vbreferee

Jackie; That is an excellent link. Thank you. I have been saving all of my articles in a three ring binder with tabs for the categories. One of the first things in it is a bug out list. It is kept on a coffee table where everyone knows where it is. It will be the first thing to grab if we have to bug out.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Wilderness survival skills should be something everybody should make some effort to prepare for regardless of how well suited you might think your bug in location might be. In a worst case scenario surviving in the woods might be the most ideal environment.

@vbreferee 2534 wrote:

Jackie; That is an excellent link. Thank you. I have been saving all of my articles in a three ring binder with tabs for the categories. One of the first things in it is a bug out list. It is kept on a coffee table where everyone knows where it is. It will be the first thing to grab if we have to bug out.

That’s a really good idea and something I need to implement in my house.

vbreferee

I bought a book about 15 years ago when I got into backpacking and hiking. Camping and Wilderness Survival Skills by Paul Tarwell. It is the most complete detailed book on the subject I have ever read. It has an amazing amount of detail on every situation you can imagine. I don’t even know if it is in print anymore, but it will be one of the first things I grab if I have to Bug Out. I would highly recommend it.

00_Jackie

I just googled the title and author, it is available at many places. Thanks for the info.

firemedic4

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2637[/ATTACH] Anyone familiar with these? Neat idea!

otis302

@firemedic4 20733 wrote:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2637[/ATTACH] Anyone familiar with these? Neat idea!

Sweedish fire torch they work real well will burn for hours somtimes we cut them all the way down and bundle them easier to tote

PhilTheBiker

How do you get it started? a little gas down the middle and light?

alwayscross

@philthebiker 20741 wrote:

How do you get it started? a little gas down the middle and light?

Done this before, its good. A small amount of tinder can get it started ,if its windy you might need a little bit more. My tip is to dig a small hole for it, help stops the wind getting to it.

PhilTheBiker

@alwayscross 20742 wrote:

Done this before, its good. A small amount of tinder can get it started ,if its windy you might need a little bit more. My tip is to dig a small hole for it, help stops the wind getting to it.

Sounds easy. My solution is always ‘poor gas on it’ to start a fire 😀

Andrew

JTS posted a good video on the Swedish Torch back in 2012. It can be viewed HERE

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.