Your 2013 Garden

Home Forums Homesteading Your 2013 Garden

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 35 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  PhilTheBiker 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Gigabelly

You can get a smartphone app that will tell you when to plant you seedlings indoors

Andrew

Would like to. Just not willing to commit the time to set up and maintain one.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 10915 wrote:

Would like to. Just not willing to commit the time to set up and maintain one.

Yeah, my wife thinks I’m a it crazy with my garden ideas. We’ll just see if I have the energy to do anything about them.

yellowgate

Yes, I’ll have a garden this year. I just ordered seed from southern exposure. This is my first venture into seed to production so who knows how it will go. I am trying a lot of newer (for me things); salad mixes, corn (sweet and meal), peanuts, broccoli.

Andrew

@philthebiker 10918 wrote:

Yeah, my wife thinks I’m a it crazy with my garden ideas. We’ll just see if I have the energy to do anything about them.

Yea, I know how to garden. I did it ALOT as a kid. I just think it would end up being me doing all the work. The novelty of having a garden would wear off for the wife and kids and I would be stuck with it.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 10960 wrote:

Yea, I know how to garden. I did it ALOT as a kid. I just think it would end up being me doing all the work. The novelty of having a garden would wear off for the wife and kids and I would be stuck with it.

I know what you mean. Since it is just me and the wife, and the wife doesn’t eat vegetables, I’m essentially canning for one 😎

There are things she does eat, so I’m going to try to grow 1/2 of the garden things she really loves and the other half will probably be things that I like. I plan on giving potatoes a shot. I’ve never grown them before but they are on the list.

I know I’m going to have a deer problem where I live. They walk through my yard all the time. So I’ll be putting up a fence soon in preparation.

Any fence suggestions are greatly appreciated!

gpu_

I’m planning on putting in another raised bed here pretty quick. I tried a hugelkulture (sp) bed last year and it did well. It definitely helps the tomatoes out, especially on some hot weekends when we were out of town and they didn’t get watered.

PhilTheBiker

Ok, I have started planning out my garden this year. When to start my seeds and what not. Picked up a Jiffy Professional Greenhouse at the walmart. Not sure it’s really “professional” 😮 but it will work for what I want to do. You can click here for what it is: Professional Greenhouse 72-313107 at The Home Depot

Basically it holds 72 seeds for your starter plants like Tomatoes and what not.

I then created the attached PDF file so I could map out when I needed to plant them indoors, when to transplant them, and when to expect dinner 🙂

I basically used the Old Farmer’s Almanac to determine plant dates along with what the back of the package suggested for my region. I’ve never done anything like this before, so, we’ll see what happens! The part I’m still trying to figure out is how I’m going to plant 100 corn plants over a 10 week period because I’m not sure I have the space and still have space for everything else I want to do. I’ll figure it out. I might just have to make the garden larger then I was initially thinking.

Something I don’t have on the list yet are some sort of berry. I’d like to plant a plant like Raspberries or Blackberries (although blackberries kind of scare me because they can go out of control if not taken care of.)

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH]1085[/ATTACH]
    (I corrected my carrot date on my master sheet but didn’t bother uploading an update here)

PhilTheBiker

So I’ve been debating exactly how many tomato plants I should plant. I was thinking no less than 20. Do you guys think that’s to much? Last year I planted some 20 cucumber plants and I was over whelmed with cucumbers. This year I’m planning on making some salsa, maybe some relish, and spaghetti sauce.

I’d love to be able to pack up 40 – 50 cans of spagetti sauce and 10 – 15 cans of salsa. As for pickles from the cucumbers I thinking I want no more than 5 cans of pickles, cut I think I’d rather figure out relish since I like that better.

I’ve also never planted hot pepper plants. I was thinking 4 or 5 of them. I’m not a big hot pepper fan but I need it for my salsa 🙂

The extra peas I might foodsaver and then freeze. I’m undecided.

So, do you guys think 20 tomato plants can fill 60 pint sized ball jars with goodies?

gpu_

I line in the suburbs on a small lot. I don’t have room to plant near that many. 4 or 5 tomatoes is about all I can do if I plan to do anything else. I’d love to haul off the kids swing set and playhouse to make more room, but that wouldn’t fly.

PhilTheBiker

@gpu_ 11334 wrote:

I line in the suburbs on a small lot. I don’t have room to plant near that many. 4 or 5 tomatoes is about all I can do if I plan to do anything else. I’d love to haul off the kids swing set and playhouse to make more room, but that wouldn’t fly.

I just found this. A way to grow 54 plants in 12 square feet. Not sure how much space you have.

Last year I grew 25-30 cucumber plants in a 4 x 6 foot and it yielded enough that I gave a ton away and still pickled 3+ gallons worth as I’ve said before.

Good Things in Small Boxes: Urban Garden, Tiny Footprint | WebEcoist

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1086[/ATTACH]

Here was a small portion of my cucumber yield for 2012
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1087[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1088[/ATTACH]

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

Was outside doing some spring cleaning and lots of yard work was hoping to get around to doing the garden since I’m behind on planting. I’m thinking about extending the size to be 16×8 foot and I pruned some overhead trees to allow for more sunlight to hit this area.

PhilTheBiker

Sounds great! Im trying to grow tomato plants from seeds right now. They are at the very delicate stage. I hope to plants hem outside in the next 3 weeks. The cucumber plants have started to explode in growth. Next year I’m going to invest in a very basic greenhouse. Very short growing season here in PA.

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

This is my garden when I first planted about 2 weeks ago:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1392[/ATTACH]

This is my garden tonight:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1393[/ATTACH]

SCpatriot

Unfortunately, due to illness, both mine and close family, there will be no garden this year. 🙁 However I will be frequenting the local Farmer’s Market and trying to make up the loss by other means. I may be able to get some late season vegetables in though, we will have to see.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.