Your 2014 Garden

Home Forums Homesteading Your 2014 Garden

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Lane 5 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

PhilTheBiker

I set these out to dry over night because the ground was went when I harvested. All said and done those 9 pounds of see potatoes produced 120+ pounds of fresh potatoes for my family and I also ended up with more than 25 pounds of onions in my harvest. I’ve already started pulling cucumber, peas, kale, and green beans The harvest has been very good to us so far this year!

I have some tomato plants that are 5 foot tall and I can’t wait for the green tomatoes to turn red πŸ™‚

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2406[/ATTACH]

Andrew

That is a lot of onions.

PhilTheBiker

I’m going to be making a lot of Salsa and Spaghetti sauce! I need to learn how to grow garlic next πŸ˜€

Andrew

So you are actually going to use all those and use all those onions for your family?

TeknaBuzz
    Keymaster

My garden is a jungle of what I would describe as thick underbrush. I do however have some ripe figs on the fig tree.

PhilTheBiker

@andrew.anderson 19190 wrote:

So you are actually going to use all those and use all those onions for your family?

That is the plan! I’m going to store them so they can be used for making salsa! We have already started cooking with some of them!

PhilTheBiker

So for most parts of the country are already done for their growing season. I have a few cherry tomatoes making appearances here and there, but for the most part, my garden is D O N E… done!

But, if I could figure out how to do a cost effective method of something like this, that would rock πŸ™‚ Maybe something that is 4 foot x 5 foot. Put two tomato plans in it and get tomatoes year round? That would be cool.

DCortez

Plan B is pretty funny.

PhilTheBiker

I hope everyone was as successful as possible with their garden. I know I learned a lot. Next year my garden is going to be very different. I have a lot of ideas so make it better, especially with weed control.

That being said, I have finally mowed over my garden and there is no more. I’ve placed some portable chicken coops in the garden and I’m moving them daily to help enrich the soil for next year. I’m also going to be dumping on a few hundred pounds of rabbit manure soon as well as leaves that are falling. My compost bins are pretty much full so I’ll be dumping compost on them as well. Get that soil ready for next year!

Tony Lane
    Participant

I hope your garden is still around.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.